From: Ant on
On 11/25/2009 7:50 PM PT, DevilsPGD typed:

>> Are there any good free disk disk defraggers that can be run outside of
>> Windows like with a boot disk/disc or before Windows is loaded?
>> Sometimes, files can't be defragged because of them being in used.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Contig.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428.aspx says only
for XP and higher. What about 2000 SP4? Can this defragger move
pagefile, MFT, etc. too?
--
"What is that?" "Some kind of insect?" "It's an ant." "Girl, you needed
an exterminator. She had ants on her face." "Well, these aren't your
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: 505 - Cernit Trandafir
From: Meat Eaters are Sinners - Repent! on
Rod Speed wrote:

> There are plenty who cant grasp that defragging most modern systems is pointless.

Do you play computer games at all? I ask because I have seen people
claim their load times for games has decreased after a defrag. What say
you to that?
From: David Brown on
Don Lope de Aguirre wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There is no point in furiously defragging anymore.
>
> How about defragging once a month at least? If it is now useless then
> why does both Vista and Win7 have tasks auto set to defrag once per
> week? It seems that Microsoft disagrees with you.

"Microsoft disagrees with you" is as good an argument as "Kermit the
Frog disagrees with you". There are so many bad choices for defaults in
Windows that this is absolutely no indication that defragging is useful
in general, or useful on a regular basis.

There are occasional situations where defragging on windows is a good
idea, and it can therefore be useful to have a defragger around. But it
only makes sense to use it when you really need it (for example, to
compact a file system before shrinking a disk partition).

Other operating systems (Macs, Linux, BSD, AIX, Solaris, various other
*nixes, etc.) either don't have any file system defragmentation tools at
all, or provide them only for occasional usage. Given that writing a
defragmenter is not that hard (especially when the file system provides
appropriate support), the obvious conclusion is that there is no good
technical reason for defragmenting in general use of these systems.

With Windows, the file systems suffer more from fragmentation due to
Windows stunningly bad allocation algorithms, but even there
fragmentation is not typically a problem.
From: Cronos on
David Brown wrote:

> "Microsoft disagrees with you" is as good an argument as "Kermit the
> Frog disagrees with you". There are so many bad choices for defaults in
> Windows that this is absolutely no indication that defragging is useful
> in general, or useful on a regular basis.

But Microsoft is not Kermit the frog and have many very smart people
working for them so I think it might be prudent to give them some
credibility instead of discounting them without understanding why they
have it set to auto defrag once per week. My guess is they do that
because to do it once a week means it is far quicker to keep the HDDs
defragged than doing it once every few months.
From: Cronos on
Rod Speed wrote:

> Nope, the other fundamental question is whether the measured
> difference is noticeable. If it isnt, its not worth worrying about.

Whether you notice or not is beside the point because the benefit is
there and is measurable regardless of if you notice it or not. I can't
tell if my game is running at 24fps or 30fps but knowing it is running
at 30fps is preferable.