From: Nicholas on
Hey all,

I copied this from another discussion group and it worked on my computer. I
am running XP Professional.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Go to Run, type regedit, and click ok, or press Enter.
2. Back up your registry, if you don't know how to do this, google it...
3. In Regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\Setup]
[Note that if you have multiple instances of MSSQL installed, the reg key
might be different for you]
4. find the Resume REG_DWORD, and change its decimal value from 1, to 0.
5. install the update, and restart the machine.

If you don't want to install this update using the automatic update
(WUAUCLT), you can download the hotfix directly from microsoft, just google
"download KB970892 ". you will still need to manually change the registy
"Resume" value, or else the hotfix will fail to install.

Best of luck!

P.S. This is a lot faster and easier than calling Microsoft Customer Support. Trust me, I tried. Three times.

TRISTON LEIGH wrote:

Windows system won't load and is stuck loading SQL security pack 3 update
23-Oct-09

I have been trying to load this update for days and kept coming up with Error code 737D so I finally had enough and tried several things, the last thing I did was turn auto updates on and for some reason my system restarted.

Well I have been stuck trying to get back into my system and it juust keeps trying to instal 3 of 3 security updates SQL pack 3 then it restarts.

IT is stuck in a loop.

my system is VIsta PRemium and my operating system is QUad 2.66 GHZ

PLEASE help ?

5 SQL Server Management Studio Tips
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b039a933-1815-4c21-bc5d-e5f4cd421c5d/5-sql-server-management-s.aspx
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
We saw your first post and your third one.

From: Stephanie on
My regedit was already set like this. So, now what?
--
Steph

From: renski33 on
On Nov 4, 4:16 pm, Stephanie <Stepha...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> My regedit was already set like this.  So, now what?
> --
> Steph
>
> "Nicholas DiDonna" wrote:
> > Hey all,
>
> > I copied this from another discussion group and it worked on my computer. I
> > am running XP Professional.
>
> > To resolve this issue, do the following:
>
> > 1. Go to Run, type regedit, and click ok, or press Enter.
> > 2. Back up your registry, if you don't know how to do this, google it....
> > 3. In Regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
> > Server\MSSQL.1\Setup]
> > [Note that if you have multiple instances of MSSQL installed, the reg key
> > might be different for you]
> > 4. find the Resume REG_DWORD, and change its decimal value from 1, to 0..
> > 5. install the update, and restart the machine.
>
> > If you don't want to install this update using the automatic update
> > (WUAUCLT), you can download the hotfix directly from microsoft, just google
> > "download KB970892 ". you will still need to manually change the registy
> > "Resume" value, or else the hotfix will fail to install.
>
> > Best of luck!
>
> > P.S. This is a lot faster and easier than calling Microsoft Customer Support. Trust me, I tried. Three times.
>
> > eagle231 wrote:
>
> > "dtunstallnc" wrote:Same thing here with error code 0x7358, running XP Pro.
> > 16-Oct-09
>
> > "dtunstallnc" wrote:
>
> > Same thing here with error code 0x7358, running XP Pro. Has anyone heard
> > about this issue?

> > EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
> > Slipstreaming and Unattended Windows Media Creation
> >http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6c050f8f-9b74-4fce-bdbe-4...
> > .

Exactly same with me, I;d had that number set to 0, so that is not
issue which would apply to everyone. I downloaded patch from mic.
website but still won't work. I have tried the one, where you go to
remove programs, SQL server 2005 Change and try to install it from
here, but it was asking me to locate patch. So I located patch
downloaded from web BUT it only accepts msi files, and Microsoft patch
is named as msp. I think this is the issue, but I don't know how to
resolve it. I've tried almost all options available while searching
net but unsuccessful. I am so fed up with microsoft. This issue is
messing with my Eset smart security, with my printer, and every time i
swith my pc on it takes ages cause of these silly attempts to install
it. Please don't tell me there's no proffesionals to help us here and
solve this issue. I am not talking about 10 ppl I am talking about
milions with same problem. Will Microsoft do something about it, or
they just don't care as usually???? IT MASTERS WHERE ARE YOU?
HEEEELP!!!!
From: Jason Martinez on
I had the same problem for weeks. It would runs for a bit and then
report it could not install. This was a pain because it would stop my
BackupExec and not restart it. So some of my backups that run passed 4
am would be stopped in their tracks. I tried all the suggestions on
the web, from uninstalling to reinstalling, but nothing worked until I
finally figured out that my problem was a missing local group. If you
look at the hotfix install log, summary.txt (which I found in C:
\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\)
you can see why the install failed. As you can see below mine was do
to a missing local group.

Error Number : 29512
Error Description : MSP Error: 29512 SQL Server Setup was
unable add user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM to local group CNTV
\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$MYCOMPUTER$BKUPEXEC.

I searched this error in google and found a posting that suggested the
problem was that a previous install had removed the group and now when
this hotfix tries to add the user to the missing local group the
install fails. The solution is to convince the installer to recreate
the groups. This is accomplished by deleting some registry keys. If
you want to read the posting it is at this page
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/c7d0a234-763b-4f9c-b7ec-3a40df6340a8,
but I will summarize below.

- Run the regedit.exe program.
- Back up your registry (use File -> Export and choose to export All)
- Find any of the keys listed below and delete them. Don't worry if
you do not have all the keys, I only had 2 of them.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\SQLGroup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\AGTGroup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\FTSGroup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.X\Setup\ASGroup

- Once I deleted the keys, I downloaded the hot fix instead of running
the Windows Update (http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/E/0/
BE0F87BC-37A4-4AB7-84C1-0E1A46F5463B/SQLServer2005-KB970892-x86-
ENU.exe).
- Last, I ran the hotfix and to my surprise it completed.

I hope this helps anyone in this group who has suffered with this
annoying hotfix.