From: Van Chocstraw on
I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw drives.
Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive.
OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD
drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes with no more things to
do at this run level. Can't run live nor install. Why the difference
between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?
From: David Bolt on
On Monday 07 Dec 2009 16:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
bb painted this mural:

> On 2009-12-07 17:11, Van Chocstraw wrote:
>> I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw drives.
>> Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive.
>> OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD
>> drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes with no more things to
>> do at this run level. Can't run live nor install. Why the difference
>> between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?
>
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

That has nothing to do with _running_ a live CD, which is what is being
complained about. It sounds like there's a bad burn and the OP could do
with reburning fresh copies of the openSUSE CDs, and checking the
md5sum of the disc after the burn has completed.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | | openSUSE 11.2 32b
From: M. Strobel on
Van Chocstraw schrieb:
> I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw drives.
> Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive.
> OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD
> drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes with no more things to
> do at this run level. Can't run live nor install. Why the difference
> between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?

I use a KDE live CD as rescue disc, I installed opensuse 11.2 on 4 systems, including one ProLiant server with
built in RAID, no problems.

Maybe defect media? Buffer IO errors when booting? Sounds very strange.

/Str.
From: baron on
David Bolt Inscribed thus:

> On Monday 07 Dec 2009 16:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> bb painted this mural:
>
>> On 2009-12-07 17:11, Van Chocstraw wrote:
>>> I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw
>>> drives. Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from
>>> either drive. OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and
>>> burn on either CD drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes
>>> with no more things to do at this run level. Can't run live nor
>>> install. Why the difference between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?
>>
>> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
>
> That has nothing to do with _running_ a live CD, which is what is
> being complained about. It sounds like there's a bad burn and the OP
> could do with reburning fresh copies of the openSUSE CDs, and checking
> the md5sum of the disc after the burn has completed.
>

> Regards,
> David Bolt

I agree with doing an MD5SUM check on the burnt CD/DVD.
However I come across this issue occasionally when the machine has bad
ram. I also often find that caching has been turned off in the BIOS in
an attempt to hide ram or motherboard issues.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:11:23 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

> I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw drives.
> Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive.
> OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD
> drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes with no more things to
> do at this run level. Can't run live nor install. Why the difference
> between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?

Did you look at the checksums before and after burning?

--
Neil
Reverse 'r and a' Delete 'l'
 |  Next  |  Last