From: joseph2k on
Sergey Kubushin wrote:

> Don Klipstein <don(a)manx.misty.com> wrote:
>> In article <e8f6ou$9vr$1(a)nntp.aioe.org>, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
>
> [dd]
>
>> Best I can find is two Philips products...
>>
>> G36T6H and G36T6VH.
>>
>> The G36T6H is a nominally 39 watt lamp with nominal length 36 inches
and
>> supposedly a germicidal lamp with "high" ozone production. Philips
>> product number is 046677-28888-6.
>>
>> The G36T6VH is a nominally 39 watt lamp with nominal length 37 inches
>> (including lampholders for this one) and supposedly a germicidal lamp
with
>> "very high" ozone production. Philips product number is 046677-28887-3.
>
> Yeah, they're fine and I do also have two of those but unfortunately my,
> sorry for an expression, "ozone generator" is 33-1/2" long so they don't
fit
> in it. The original bulb was called UWQ-825T5/40W and it's 30" long.
>
>> Maybe ask bulbs.com if they can get you any. Both are supposedly
>> "slimline" single pin models, presumably "instant start", and I recommend
>> getting an engineer at Philips to recommend a ballast for you.
>
> Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't believe in
exclusive
> ballasts for $150 each and Philips engineers to buy a mere ballast. This
is
> NOT rocket science, it's just a low pressure bulb that's only difference
> from a regular fluorescent bulb is lack of luminophore. I don't want
> Philips, Sylvania, GE etc. bulbs and matching ballasts because one never
> knows when they start caring of our health and discontinue those bulbs or
> replace them with something "even better". A want _a_ bulb and _a_ ballast
> that I can buy in _a_ department store.
>
> ---
> * KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
> * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Ozone producing lamps are never, never sold at home improvement stores. Old
regular "old, old standard" ballast (ca 1940) should work fine. The lamp
was described a a preheat type, was it not. Working ballasts for such
lamps are a bit hard to find now.

OP lamps have a different glass that transmits the ozone producing line.
Germicidal lamps do not normally pass this line for safety reasons.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.
From: joseph2k on
Mike Monett wrote:

> Rich Grise <richgrise(a)example.net> wrote:

>>> I was under the impression UV couldn't make a very strong ozone
>>> concentration, and you needed corona discharge to reach 3% or more.
>>> Is there a special reason you want to use lamps besides cost and
>>> availability?
>
>> I can't imagine how lamps can make ozone in liquid water, no matter
>> what the wavelength, or transparency of the envelope. Maybe it's just
>> germicidal lamps and the water goes through the chamber and gets
>> disinfected by the UV on its way through.
>
>> The fact that he says he had to start digging, just to replace a
>> couple of germidicadal lamps, sounds a little suspicious to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich
>
> You are right, UV germicidal lamps are used to treat the water directly.
> Unfortunately, the combination of low power and short contact time means
> they are often not very effective. I have seen the cartridges you have to
> replace periodically jammed full of bacteria. Apparently they were
> sunbathing in the light:)
>
> However, Sergey's application appears to be different. According to this
> url, air is passed over the bulb then the ozone is injected into the
water:

> http://www.appliedozone.com/pz_series.html
>
> However, I was under the impression that UV was not a very efficient
method
> of making ozone, especially considering it has to make enough to treat an
> entire pool.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Monett

Actually ozone producing lamps are sufficiently efficient to be used a
municipal water supply disinfectant, and are used so regularly. Wow, it
was about 20 years ago that i provided professional input to a decision to
use ozone or chloramines in such a plant.

From: joseph2k on
Sergey Kubushin wrote:

> Mike Monett <No(a)email.adr> wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushin <ksi(a)koi8.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Nope, they are fine. And this is not supposed to be a "shock"
>>> treatment, it's a long process... Pump runs for circa 12 hours every
>>> day so does ozon generator so after a couple of weeks there is enough
>>> ozone in the pool to prevent algae appearance.
>>
>> Well, I'm glad you are happy it seems to be working. But there is no
ozone
>> in the water. The half-life of ozone in water is measured in minutes.
>>
>> Many municipalities now use high concentrations of ozone instead of
>> chlorine to kill bacteria in drinking water. Since the ozone decomposes
>> back into oxygen so rapidly, the ozone has no residual disinfecting
power.

> I haven't seen a trace of algae when this thing were working. And I even
> wasn't that hard on chemicals. Now, when it's dead for something like 2
> months, I have a substantial algae growth, with green spots on pool wals
> that I can't even remove despite weekly chlorine "shock" treatments, heavy
> algaecide usage and lot of other efforts.
>
> Yes, I do know ozone is unstable. But injecting ozone in the pool water
for
> a couple of weeks gets rid of that nasty vegetation. I had not read it in
> advertizements, I can clearly see it in my own backyard.
>
> ---
> * KSI(a)home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
> * Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Thank you Sergey, that is solid testimony to the disinfecting power of
ozone. Moreover the long lasting toxicity of chloramines and long term
exposure problems are starting to be documented.

From: Mike Monett on
joseph2k <cooltechblue(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you Sergey, that is solid testimony to the disinfecting power of
> ozone. Moreover the long lasting toxicity of chloramines and long term
> exposure problems are starting to be documented.

Hi Joseph,

I have a question. I use pure distilled water in a silver electrolysis
process.

Sometimes there are problems that appear to be due to something in the
water, and changing vendors often helps. The conductance of different
vendor's products measured with a Hanna Pure Water Tester can range from
0.6uS to 1.2uS. So there is nothing obvious in the measurement that points
to something in the water, but it sure doesn't work very well.

Do you have more information on problems with chloramines, particularly how
to detect their presence, what effects they may have on an elctrolysis
process, and how to remove them from the water?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mike Monett
From: Sjouke Burry on
Mike Monett wrote:
> joseph2k <cooltechblue(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Thank you Sergey, that is solid testimony to the disinfecting power of
>>ozone. Moreover the long lasting toxicity of chloramines and long term
>>exposure problems are starting to be documented.
>

> Hi Joseph,
>
> I have a question. I use pure distilled water in a silver electrolysis
> process.
>
> Sometimes there are problems that appear to be due to something in the
> water, and changing vendors often helps. The conductance of different
> vendor's products measured with a Hanna Pure Water Tester can range from
> 0.6uS to 1.2uS. So there is nothing obvious in the measurement that points
> to something in the water, but it sure doesn't work very well.
>
> Do you have more information on problems with chloramines, particularly how
> to detect their presence, what effects they may have on an elctrolysis
> process, and how to remove them from the water?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Monett
Watch out for de-ionized water,which they
try to sell as distilled water,because all
the gunk that was not ionized is still present,
and might de-compose when subjected to
heat/pressure/aging etc.
Distilled water should be free of that.
At most gas stations they seem to try to
sell you de-ionized.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Tank Depth