From: mm on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:49:11 -0700, Mark Adams
<MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>mm- Sorry, been away for a few days. As "Mike S" said, doing the factory
>restore should return the machine to factory condition, assuming there are no
>hardware failures. BUT, this is most likely a destructive reinstall, and any
>data on the machine WILL BE PERMANENTLY LOST. Make sure your friend backs up
>ALL of his files to external media before doing this. Don't trust
>flash drives for long term storage either. They're OK for moving files
>to another computer for storage on the hard drive or burning to CD or DVD,
>but they have a habit of failing when you least need them to. Double check
>the condition of the copied files before deleting anything, or before
>performing the factory restore.

Okay. I'll baear all that in mind, and I'm sending him a copy.

I did mean that the flashdrive would be used to move the data
somewhere else, not permanent storage.
From: Mark Adams on

"mm" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:49:11 -0700, Mark Adams
> <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >mm- Sorry, been away for a few days. As "Mike S" said, doing the factory
> >restore should return the machine to factory condition, assuming there are no
> >hardware failures. BUT, this is most likely a destructive reinstall, and any
> >data on the machine WILL BE PERMANENTLY LOST. Make sure your friend backs up
> >ALL of his files to external media before doing this. Don't trust
> >flash drives for long term storage either. They're OK for moving files
> >to another computer for storage on the hard drive or burning to CD or DVD,
> >but they have a habit of failing when you least need them to. Double check
> >the condition of the copied files before deleting anything, or before
> >performing the factory restore.
>
> Okay. I'll baear all that in mind, and I'm sending him a copy.

Great. Post back with his results.

From: mm on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:40:02 -0700, Mark Adams
<MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"mm" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:49:11 -0700, Mark Adams
>> <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>> >mm- Sorry, been away for a few days. As "Mike S" said, doing the factory
>> >restore should return the machine to factory condition, assuming there are no
>> >hardware failures. BUT, this is most likely a destructive reinstall, and any
>> >data on the machine WILL BE PERMANENTLY LOST. Make sure your friend backs up
>> >ALL of his files to external media before doing this. Don't trust
>> >flash drives for long term storage either. They're OK for moving files
>> >to another computer for storage on the hard drive or burning to CD or DVD,
>> >but they have a habit of failing when you least need them to. Double check
>> >the condition of the copied files before deleting anything, or before
>> >performing the factory restore.
>>
>> Okay. I'll baear all that in mind, and I'm sending him a copy.
>>

>Great. Post back with his results.

It will be a while. He's either busy with something or he's lost
interest. He's using a win98 computer which he likes because it is so
fast. That's why I gave in and decided solving his speed problem was
most very important, even though I didn't experience too much of it.

I'll start a new thread. Is it bad form to put your name, or Mike
S's, in the subject line?

From: Mark Adams on

"mm" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:40:02 -0700, Mark Adams
> <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"mm" wrote:

> >> Okay. I'll baear all that in mind, and I'm sending him a copy.
> >>

> >Great. Post back with his results.
>
> It will be a while. He's either busy with something or he's lost
> interest. He's using a win98 computer which he likes because it is so
> fast. That's why I gave in and decided solving his speed problem was
> most very important, even though I didn't experience too much of it.
>
> I'll start a new thread. Is it bad form to put your name, or Mike
> S's, in the subject line?

I don't mind if you use my name, I'll watch for it. I am interested to hear
the final resolution. Thanks.

From: Mike S on
>> I'll start a new thread. Is it bad form to put your name, or Mike
>> S's, in the subject line?

> I don't mind if you use my name, I'll watch for it. I am interested to hear
> the final resolution. Thanks.

Agreed, it's been a good story, I'd like to hear the last chapter too.