From: mm on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:23:01 -0700, Mark Adams
<MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"mm" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 23:52:07 -0300, "news.microsoft.com"
>> <pjp_is_located_@_hotmail_dot_com> wrote:
>>
>> >You mentioned it's an Averatec laptop. I have a 6100 works fine.
>> >
>> >Their site seems to have all the extra drivers you likely need. It's not
>> >enough to just install XP but you also must install the manufacturer's
>> >motherboard, audio, USB etc. drivers. As you don't have the original install
>> >cd's that's the way to go (and basically is for all pc's nowadays when don't
>> >have original Restore disks).
>>
>> Great idea. It has two options, a list of drivers, but the only one
>> that relates to a problem I know of is the audio driver. It doesn't
>> show anything for USB. I should look for a generic USB driveer, I
>> think, but how will I install it when Device Manager doesn't work?
>>
>> It also had a link to a DriverAgent page, which said Welcome Averatec
>> customers, and offered a driver scan. Since it was recommended by
>> Averatec I did it, and it froze the computer at 40% of the scan. Did
>> the same thing 3 times.
>>
>> On my own computer, I dl'd the same program, same version number from
>> the same site, and it ran to completion and said it had newer drivers
>> for 12 out of 36 drivers. (Although none of those things are giving me
>> problems)
>>

>NEVER use one of these driver detecting programs. They charge you money to
>download drivers that are available for free from the manufacturer's website,
>and they frequently offer obsolete or completely wrong drivers- a sure way to
>hose your system.

Well this is what finally happened tonight (Sunday). Don't start
your reply until reading the whole thing.

I had already left the laptop with my young friend with instructions
to backup any data to CD's, when I came home and read Mark's post that
I'm replying to.

Turns out the CD writer wasn't working either (No CD in drive) so then
I was going to have him gat some google storage space and upload it
there.

Then I read Mark's post

>Go to the Averatec website and download all the drivers for your model
>machine and burn them to CD.

I made the CD and went there tonight. Sunday

> Install the drivers from the CD. If a "chipset"
>driver is listed, install it first and reboot the computer.

There was, also called 4in1, four in one, and I ran that driver .exe
first and rebooted, and I think it didn't help. Then I ran it again,
and it detected the USB flashdrive. Hooray. And thanks.

>That will
>probably get the USB ports working by providing support for the "Enhanced USB
>Controller".

Yes indeedy.

>Install the video and audio drivers next. Reboot and go to

Installed audio, from the self-extracting file, and got a long string
of "Creation of folder Failed". In fact it didn't extract anything.
Did it again, same result.

Skipped video for now because video seemed good.

Did CPU Power, but it wanted to uninstall things. I guess because
everything was installed. Hmmmm. Maybe we should have uninstalled
and installed, but I just put that one aside for later, and then
skipped it.

Ran MousePad, or SomethingPad, Touchpad, because his cursor had been
moving when no one was touching it, usually falling down the screen.
Not enough time for me to decide if this fixed it, and my
young friend wasn't sure if it was better or not.

WLAN and LAN have been working fine so I put them aside for later and
skipped them.

I don't know what CARD is. And he probably won't ever need Modem,
plus we have no way to test it.

>Device Manager and look for yellow exclamation points next to devices.
>Continue to install the drivers for those devices.

Device Manager still didn't work. Googled error message for Blank
Device Manager and first hit said that the Plug and Play Service has
to be enabled. It wasn't. How did that change??

Also the error message when I tried to use Windows Help said the Help
& Support service was not working.

Ran services.msc and both services are disabled. Put both on
Automatic.

Sound now works, icon in systray for removing USB device appears, File
Manager works (and there are no yellow exclamation marks!.

The remaining questions are: What could mess up the USB so that the
chipset driver had to be reinstalled? How do such things happen?
And, any chance these services disabled themselves, or must my young
friend have done so?

Under grilling he admitted that he might have done something when he
was trying to stop something he didn't like. That could account for
the services but what about the USB driver?

He's 23, impatient, antsy, might even have DPDT or DBA or one of those
antsy syndromes. Probably not but I like the line.

So everything is fixed except maybe the CD burning. (Reading works.)
He or we should be able to fix that.

And it was all in all the chipset driver, two services. and maybe the
Touchpad driver.

Thanks a lot Mark, Daave, news, mike S, windrider, Ken, and Jim.

He had no money for another computer and had been trying to fix up a
win98 box. This is much better.

From: Mark Adams on

"mm" wrote:

> [...]
> chipset driver had to be reinstalled? How do such things happen?
> And, any chance these services disabled themselves, or must my young
> friend have done so?
>
> Under grilling he admitted that he might have done something when he
> was trying to stop something he didn't like. That could account for
> the services but what about the USB driver?
>
> He's 23, impatient, antsy, might even have DPDT or DBA or one of those
> antsy syndromes. Probably not but I like the line.
>
> So everything is fixed except maybe the CD burning. (Reading works.)
> He or we should be able to fix that.
>
> And it was all in all the chipset driver, two services. and maybe the
> Touchpad driver.
>
> Thanks a lot Mark, Daave, news, mike S, windrider, Ken, and Jim.
>
> He had no money for another computer and had been trying to fix up a

Copy the drivers from the CD to the hard drive before installing. Those that
have a self extracting file, by default usually create the extracted folder
in the same location as the parent folder. If the parent folder is on a CD
the extraction process attempts to write the new folder to the CD, which
can't be done. Copy the self extracting folders to the hard drive and perform
the extraction there.

Good to see that the USB ports are working now. Flash drives are a little
easier to use for driver installs. Still, always copy the driver installers
and zip files to the hard drive before installing.
From: mm on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:29:52 -0700, Mark Adams
> [...]

>> chipset driver had to be reinstalled? How do such things happen?
>> And, any chance these services disabled themselves, or must my young
>> friend have done so?
>>
>> Under grilling he admitted that he might have done something when he
>> was trying to stop something he didn't like. That could account for
>> the services but what about the USB driver?
>>
>> So everything is fixed except maybe the CD burning. (Reading works.)
>> He or we should be able to fix that.
>>
>> And it was all in all the chipset driver, two services. and maybe the
>> Touchpad driver.
>>
>> Thanks a lot Mark, Daave, news, mike S, windrider, Ken, and Jim.
>>

>Copy the drivers from the CD to the hard drive before installing. Those that
>have a self extracting file, by default usually create the extracted folder
>in the same location as the parent folder.

Darn. We used s second program that had options of where to extract
it to, and one was "Here", and even that didn't make me think of where
Here was or even the possibility of what you just said. I'm so used
to dl'ing drivers to the harddrive. 5 or 10 years or more since I
unzipped from a CD. I'm going to blame it on that.

> If the parent folder is on a CD
>the extraction process attempts to write the new folder to the CD, which
>can't be done. Copy the self extracting folders to the hard drive and perform
>the extraction there.

Right. I didn't mention that we extracted it 3 times with the same
bad result and didn't come close to thinking of the reason.

>Good to see that the USB ports are working now.

What's interesting is that when they WERE NOT working, the light in
the mouse and flashdrive woudl still go on, and they would still go on
when the computer WAS OFF. Now that the usb works, the lights are off
when the computer is off.

>Flash drives are a little
>easier to use for driver installs. Still, always copy the driver installers
>and zip files to the hard drive before installing.

Okay. I'll do that.

CC: my friend.
From: Mark Adams on
A couple of other things, inline below:

"mm" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:29:52 -0700, Mark Adams
> <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >"mm" wrote:

> >> Well this is what finally happened tonight (Sunday). Don't start
> >> your reply until reading the whole thing.
> >>
> >> I had already left the laptop with my young friend with instructions
> >> to backup any data to CD's, when I came home and read Mark's post that
> >> I'm replying to.
> >>
> >> Turns out the CD writer wasn't working either (No CD in drive) so then
> >> I was going to have him gat some google storage space and upload it
> >> there.
> >>
> >> Then I read Mark's post

> >> I made the CD and went there tonight. Sunday

> >> There was, also called 4in1, four in one, and I ran that driver .exe
> >> first and rebooted, and I think it didn't help. Then I ran it again,
> >> and it detected the USB flashdrive. Hooray. And thanks.

> >> Yes indeedy.

> >> Installed audio, from the self-extracting file, and got a long string
> >> of "Creation of folder Failed". In fact it didn't extract anything.
> >> Did it again, same result.
> >>
> >> Skipped video for now because video seemed good.
> >>
> >> Did CPU Power, but it wanted to uninstall things. I guess because
> >> everything was installed. Hmmmm. Maybe we should have uninstalled
> >> and installed, but I just put that one aside for later, and then
> >> skipped it.

The 4 in 1 driver provides support for hardware that other drivers may need
before they will install or function properly. That's why it's important to
install the chipset drivers first.

> >> Ran MousePad, or SomethingPad, Touchpad, because his cursor had been
> >> moving when no one was touching it, usually falling down the screen.
> >> Not enough time for me to decide if this fixed it, and my
> >> young friend wasn't sure if it was better or not.
> >>
> >> WLAN and LAN have been working fine so I put them aside for later and
> >> skipped them.
> >>
> >> I don't know what CARD is. And he probably won't ever need Modem,
> >> plus we have no way to test it.

See above.

> >> Device Manager still didn't work. Googled error message for Blank
> >> Device Manager and first hit said that the Plug and Play Service has
> >> to be enabled. It wasn't. How did that change??

Don't have an answer for this.

Anybody?

> >> Also the error message when I tried to use Windows Help said the Help
> >> & Support service was not working.
> >>
> >> Ran services.msc and both services are disabled. Put both on
> >> Automatic.
> >>
> >> Sound now works, icon in systray for removing USB device appears, File
> >> Manager works (and there are no yellow exclamation marks!.
> >>

> >> The remaining questions are: What could mess up the USB so that the
> >> chipset driver had to be reinstalled? How do such things happen?
> >> And, any chance these services disabled themselves, or must my young
> >> friend have done so?
> >>
> >> Under grilling he admitted that he might have done something when he
> >> was trying to stop something he didn't like. That could account for
> >> the services but what about the USB driver?

Maybe he uninstalled the 4 in 1 driver from Add/Remove Programs. Grill him
some more, he might still be "rare."

> >> So everything is fixed except maybe the CD burning. (Reading works.)
> >> He or we should be able to fix that.

CD burner won't burn without burning software, but will still read. Download
CDBurnerXP for free. Google for it.

> >> And it was all in all the chipset driver, two services. and maybe the
> >> Touchpad driver.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot Mark, Daave, news, mike S, windrider, Ken, and Jim.
> >>

> >Copy the drivers from the CD to the hard drive before installing. Those that
> >have a self extracting file, by default usually create the extracted folder
> >in the same location as the parent folder.
>
> Darn. We used s second program that had options of where to extract
> it to, and one was "Here", and even that didn't make me think of where
> Here was or even the possibility of what you just said. I'm so used
> to dl'ing drivers to the harddrive. 5 or 10 years or more since I
> unzipped from a CD. I'm going to blame it on that.
>
> > If the parent folder is on a CD
> >the extraction process attempts to write the new folder to the CD, which
> >can't be done. Copy the self extracting folders to the hard drive and perform
> >the extraction there.
>
> Right. I didn't mention that we extracted it 3 times with the same
> bad result and didn't come close to thinking of the reason.
> >
> >Good to see that the USB ports are working now.
>
> What's interesting is that when they WERE NOT working, the light in
> the mouse and flashdrive woudl still go on, and they would still go on
> when the computer WAS OFF. Now that the usb works, the lights are off
> when the computer is off.

Funny how drivers work, huh?

> >Flash drives are a little
> >easier to use for driver installs. Still, always copy the driver installers
> >and zip files to the hard drive before installing.
>
> Okay. I'll do that.
>
> CC: my friend.
> .

You'll get her sorted yet. Keep plugging away.
From: Mike S on
<snip>

> Don't have an answer for this.
>
> Anybody?

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10065

To access Device Manager, use any of the following methods:

• Click Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc.
• Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
• Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and
then click Device Manager.
• Type the following command at a command prompt: start devmgmt.msc

Do any of those work?
If not do you see any error message?
---

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/372757-plug-play-service-wont-start.html

try this command: NET START "PlugPlay"

try this approach: Click start, click run, type services.msc and click
ok. Find the service (It would help if you sorted it alphabetically
first. Click the "name" tab to do so.), right click it and click start.

Did either of those work?

Mike