From: AES on
Simple text-only PDFs that I receive from one particular source (where
they are presumably prepared on a WIndows machine) open fine in Acrobat
7.0 Standard on a MacBook still running Tiger (10.4.11), and look fine
on screen.

But when printed to my hp LaserJet 6MP, they come out with garbled fonts
(many characters changed to other characters).

This problem never appears with innumerable other PDFs I receive from
many other sources; and these same documents come out just fine when
opened and printed via Preview on my same setup.

Any diagnostics for this? (One possible clue: I don't have any MS
Office apps on my system, though I did have Office for Mac 2004 on it at
one time.)
From: Jim on
In article
<siegman-5B0C38.12453319072010(a)bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, AES
<siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> Simple text-only PDFs that I receive from one particular source (where
> they are presumably prepared on a WIndows machine) open fine in Acrobat
> 7.0 Standard on a MacBook still running Tiger (10.4.11), and look fine
> on screen.
>
> But when printed to my hp LaserJet 6MP, they come out with garbled fonts
> (many characters changed to other characters).
>
> This problem never appears with innumerable other PDFs I receive from
> many other sources; and these same documents come out just fine when
> opened and printed via Preview on my same setup.
>
> Any diagnostics for this? (One possible clue: I don't have any MS
> Office apps on my system, though I did have Office for Mac 2004 on it at
> one time.)

I had a 6mp a long time ago. Didn't it substitute its own fonts? You
might be able to turn that off.

--
Jim
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-19-2010 15:45, AES wrote:
> Simple text-only PDFs that I receive from one particular source (where
> they are presumably prepared on a WIndows machine) open fine in Acrobat
> 7.0 Standard on a MacBook still running Tiger (10.4.11), and look fine
> on screen.
>
> But when printed to my hp LaserJet 6MP, they come out with garbled fonts
> (many characters changed to other characters).

Three things to try:

1. Open in Preview and print

2/3 Open in Preview or Adobe, and print to PDF. Then open _that_ PDF
and print it.

--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
1. Don't attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.
2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
can be adequately explained by ignorance.
3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.
From: Peter Flynn on
On 19/07/10 20:45, AES wrote:
> Simple text-only PDFs that I receive from one particular source (where
> they are presumably prepared on a WIndows machine) open fine in Acrobat
> 7.0 Standard on a MacBook still running Tiger (10.4.11), and look fine
> on screen.
>
> But when printed to my hp LaserJet 6MP, they come out with garbled fonts
> (many characters changed to other characters).
>
> This problem never appears with innumerable other PDFs I receive from
> many other sources; and these same documents come out just fine when
> opened and printed via Preview on my same setup.
>
> Any diagnostics for this? (One possible clue: I don't have any MS
> Office apps on my system, though I did have Office for Mac 2004 on it at
> one time.)

A local Mac guru suggests clearing the font cache and checking for
updates to your 6MP driver (generic postscript, I think).

///Peter