From: Lynne Seamans on
Been tasked with "installing forefront" on our exchange 2007 servers.

i'm confused between two product names:

- Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server

- Forefront Security for Exchange server.

What is the difference or is the first name just the latest iteration of the
same software?

Thanks for any pointers.

Lynne.Seamans(a)millersville.edu

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:11:08 -0400, "Lynne Seamans"
<Lynne.Seamans(a)millersville.edu> wrote:

>Been tasked with "installing forefront" on our exchange 2007 servers.
>
>i'm confused between two product names:
>
>- Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
>
>- Forefront Security for Exchange server.
>

>What is the difference

The FSE is the rebranded Sybari Antigen with some MS alterations. FPE
has anti-spam and a whole new management console, plus Powershell
access.

>or is the first name just the latest iteration of the
>same software?

It does the same tasks, but it's not really the same software.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Lynne Seamans on
thanks, Rich. Does the FPE technically replace the FSE? Or are they both
current?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:33:18 -0400, "Lynne Seamans"
<Lynne.Seamans(a)millersville.edu> wrote:

>thanks, Rich. Does the FPE technically replace the FSE? Or are they both
>current?

They're both curren in the same way that Windows Server 2003 and 2008
are both current, or Exchange 2007 and 2010 are both current.

One (FSE) is release 10, the other (FPE) is release 11.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Lynne Seamans on
Thanks, Rich. You've made it pretty clear, that's what i wanted to know.
Guess i should have been able to figure it out by myself, but hey, somedays
you're dumber than others.