From: accesskastle on
Hi-

I have two forms. One is a datasheet view, the other a single form view, of
pretty much the same data. When a user double-clicks a field in the
datasheet view, the idea is that it will go to the single form with tabs,
allowing the user to see all the data in a much more user friendly display.

However, the first time I click on the field, the form flashes continuously
until I CTRL+ALT+DEL to start the Windows Task manager to break the process.
Once I do this, everytime after, I don't experience the problem.

I tried inserting Debug.Print statements to find out where it's going wrong,
but it passes them all, with no error message:

Private Sub Click_below_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
On Error GoTo Err_Click_below

Debug.Print "Executing double-click..."
RefreshAll
Debug.Print "refreshed..."
If Len(GISEventID) = 20 Then
DoCmd.Echo False
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEventLogTab", acNormal, , "[EventID] = " &
Forms!frmEventLog_tb!EventLogID
Debug.Print "Opened tab form..."
Forms!frmEventLog_tb.SetFocus
Debug.Print "Setfocus..."
DoCmd.Minimize
DoCmd.Echo True
'Debug.Print "minimized...complete."
Else
MsgBox "Sorry! You must enter information before proceeding to tab view."
Debug.Print "no info..."
Cancel = True
Debug.Print "cancel=true"
End If

Exit_Click_below:
Exit Sub

Err_Click_below:
MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
End Sub

Anyone got any ideas how to stop this problem?
From: Dirk Goldgar on
"accesskastle" <accesskastle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> I have two forms. One is a datasheet view, the other a single form view,
> of
> pretty much the same data. When a user double-clicks a field in the
> datasheet view, the idea is that it will go to the single form with tabs,
> allowing the user to see all the data in a much more user friendly
> display.
>
> However, the first time I click on the field,

Click, or double-click?

> the form flashes continuously
> until I CTRL+ALT+DEL to start the Windows Task manager to break the
> process.
> Once I do this, everytime after, I don't experience the problem.
>
> I tried inserting Debug.Print statements to find out where it's going
> wrong,
> but it passes them all, with no error message:
>

> Private Sub Click_below_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
> On Error GoTo Err_Click_below
>
> Debug.Print "Executing double-click..."
> RefreshAll
> Debug.Print "refreshed..."
> If Len(GISEventID) = 20 Then
> DoCmd.Echo False
> DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEventLogTab", acNormal, , "[EventID] = " &
> Forms!frmEventLog_tb!EventLogID
> Debug.Print "Opened tab form..."
> Forms!frmEventLog_tb.SetFocus
> Debug.Print "Setfocus..."
> DoCmd.Minimize
> DoCmd.Echo True
> 'Debug.Print "minimized...complete."
> Else
> MsgBox "Sorry! You must enter information before proceeding to tab
> view."
> Debug.Print "no info..."
> Cancel = True
> Debug.Print "cancel=true"
> End If
>
> Exit_Click_below:
> Exit Sub
>
> Err_Click_below:
> MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Description
> End Sub

Why are you setting Echo off? Is it just to avoid minimizing the wrong
form? I don't know, but I wonder if there's a problem involved in the
combination of SetFocus and Echo = False. What happens if you do this:

'------ start of suggested code snippet -----
If Len(GISEventID) = 20 Then
DoCmd.Minimize
DoEvents
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEventLogTab", acNormal, , _
"[EventID] = " & Forms!frmEventLog_tb!EventLogID
Debug.Print "Opened tab form..."
'------ end of suggested code snippet -----

Is there code in the Open, Load, or Current events of frmEventLogTab that
might be relevant?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: accesskastle on
Thanks for responding, Dirk. You're right, I misspoke. The first time I
"double-click" the field, the form to open will open to the record and then
flash continuously. After that, I can't use the mouse. I get an hourglass
until I break it with the CTRL+Alt+DEL. A single click doesn't cause the
error to happen because the event is triggered on the double-click.

From: Dirk Goldgar on
> Thanks for responding, Dirk. You're right, I misspoke. The first time I
> "double-click" the field, the form to open will open to the record and
> then
> flash continuously. After that, I can't use the mouse. I get an
> hourglass
> until I break it with the CTRL+Alt+DEL. A single click doesn't cause the
> error to happen because the event is triggered on the double-click.

Did you try the revised code I posted, to see if it makes a difference?

From: accesskastle on
Thanks, but the problem still occurs with the code you supplied. The problem
was occuring before I threw the echo statement in there. I was just trying
to stop it from repainting before the process was complete.

I commented everything out except for the DoCmd.Open statement, and it still
happened. I wonder if it has to do with recordsets. My DB is split frontend
backend, the backend on a local shared drive. The 2nd (tabbed) form has a
table as its Recordsource. You think I should try set this runtime?

I don't know what else it could be. The form to open has no open, close,
load form level events, and only two control level events.