From: Lostguy on
Hello!

For a Veterinarian database, I can't seem to get the form/subform
structure working.

Open the form. Enter the date. Then, in a subform below, enter the ID#
of the dogs that showed up that day. (could be one, could be 50). When
you enter the ID, info for that dog can be seen (name, breed,etc.)

Then for the selected dog (another subform?), enter the conditions the
dog has (could be 1, could be 50). (Cough, limp, etc.)

??

VR/Lost
From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:16:13 -0700 (PDT), Lostguy <cpocpo(a)mail.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>For a Veterinarian database, I can't seem to get the form/subform
>structure working.
>
>Open the form. Enter the date. Then, in a subform below, enter the ID#
>of the dogs that showed up that day. (could be one, could be 50). When
>you enter the ID, info for that dog can be seen (name, breed,etc.)
>

>Then for the selected dog (another subform?), enter the conditions the
>dog has (could be 1, could be 50). (Cough, limp, etc.)
>
>??
>
>VR/Lost

Let's start with tables, since they are fundamental; forms are just windows,
tools to manage data stored in tables. If your table relationships aren't set
up correctly you'll have no end of trouble with your forms! How ARE your
tables set up?

Just FWIW, in my animal-shelter database veterinary services module, I use
tables for AnimalOwners, Animals, Conditions (a table of all the medical
issues that might be encountered), AnimalConditions (linked to Animals and
Conditions), Visits, and several more auxiiliary and lookup tables - not
trivial!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Lostguy on
Sir,

Here are my tables:

tblDog
DogIDpk, Autonumber
DogName, Text
Breed,text

tblCondition
ConditionIDpk, Autonumber
ConditionDesc, text

tblDogCondition
DogIDfk, number
ConditionIDfk, number

I understand about forms. I was just trying to explain how the form
should look to a user. I am getting wrapped around the "pick date,
then enter dogs, then conditions for each dog" which seems to be a
mainform-subform-subform setup that i don't know how to do.

I appreciate your help!

VR/Lost
From: John W. Vinson on
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:26:48 -0700 (PDT), Lostguy <cpocpo(a)mail.com> wrote:

>Sir,
>
>Here are my tables:
>
>tblDog
>DogIDpk, Autonumber
>DogName, Text
>Breed,text
>
>tblCondition
>ConditionIDpk, Autonumber
>ConditionDesc, text
>
>tblDogCondition
>DogIDfk, number
>ConditionIDfk, number
>
>I understand about forms. I was just trying to explain how the form
>should look to a user. I am getting wrapped around the "pick date,
>then enter dogs, then conditions for each dog" which seems to be a
>mainform-subform-subform setup that i don't know how to do.
>
>I appreciate your help!
>
>VR/Lost

But there is no date in any of your tables, and a date is in any case just one
data field - I can't see any point in having a Form with just a date! What is
this the date OF? An examination/visit? Don't you need at least one or two
more tables?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Lostguy on
Sir,

Yes, I missed that one.

tblVisit
VisitIDpk, autonumber
VisitDate, date/time
DogIDfk, number

Then I linked all the IDpks to their respective IDfks.

Can you see anything else missing?

VR/Lost