From: Daniel on
To all

the hard drive has lost it's file allocation and the CD does not recognise
it as valid
and will not install to it.

But recovery consol does see it and will format it but I do not know what
FAT it will format to.

Thanks

Daniel

From: Pegasus [MVP] on
If the WinXP installation CD does not recognise your hard disk then it
either requires a proprietary driver or else it is defective. You should
download and run the diagnostic program that its manufacturer has on his web
site.

From: Daniel on
Sometimes the file allocation or system is corrupted and windows cannot see
it, the fact that
recovery consol sees it indicates that it is not necessarily a defective
disk.

I have had this happen before on my PC and all I had to do was format the
disk in dos
and reinstall windows, that Hard Drive is still working 5 years later.

cheers

Daniel

From: John John - MVP on
If the Recovery Console can see the disk then the Windows setup program
(the XP CD) will also see it and it will be able to format the drive.
As a matter of fact if the Setup program cannot see the disk then the
Recovery Console will also not be able to see it. There is absolutely
no need whatsoever to resort to DOS to format drives for Windows XP
installations!

John

From: Daave on
Listen to Pegasus; he knows what he is talking about.

The fact of the matter is hard drives can and do go bad. The only way to
know for sure is run a diagnostic. You can download what you need to
make a bootable diagnostic CD or floppy from the drive manufacturer's
Web site. You may even use HDAT2 to determine and repair bad sectors (if
that's the only issue):

http://www.hdat2.com/

What is the make and model of your hard drive?

Furtermore, you're not using Windows 98, so there is no need to use a
floppy with MS-DOS to fdisk the hard drive. The XP installation CD is
bootable (make sure you configure the PC to boot off the CD!) and
contains everything needed to format the hard drive.

For detailed directions for a Clean Install, see:

Good luck!