From: Navyguy on
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows Firewall, Avira antivirus,
Spybot and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and
are up to date. However, my computer recently became infected with a
HTML/Crypted.Gen virus.

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/3666/html_crypted.gen.html

I ran Avira and Spybot and thought that it had corrected to problem
but today when I logged on I had the same virus alert. I would
appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on how to remove this virus from
my computer.

Thanks,

Robert

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Daave on
Navyguy wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows Firewall, Avira antivirus,
> Spybot and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and
> are up to date. However, my computer recently became infected with a
> HTML/Crypted.Gen virus.
>
> http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/3666/html_crypted.gen.html
>
> I ran Avira and Spybot and thought that it had corrected to problem
> but today when I logged on I had the same virus alert. I would
> appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on how to remove this virus from
> my computer.

Sometimes, AV programs (Avira AntiVir included) detect false positives.

What is the name of the file(s) associated with this particular type of
malware (note that it is not a virus)? Can you upload it/them to these
two sites?:

http://www.virustotal.com/

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

From: Navyguy on

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Navyguy" <magineer02(a)yahoo.com>

| I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with Windows Firewall, Avira antivirus,
| Spybot and Hive Cleanup and all the programs work well together and
| are up to date. However, my computer recently became infected with a
| HTML/Crypted.Gen virus.

| http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/3666/html_crypted.gen.html

| I ran Avira and Spybot and thought that it had corrected to problem
| but today when I logged on I had the same virus alert. I would
| appreciate any thoughts/suggestions on how to remove this virus from
| my computer.

It is not a virus and you can't get infected by it. However if the script it represents
its successfully executed it may lead to the installation of some other malware.

What this is is a generic detection for a cryptic HTML script.

If you got alerted on it then Avira AntiVir did its job and blocked the malicious code in
the HTML script.

Perform a full scan of your system using AntoVir to make sure the script is not in a
cache somewhere.

--
Dave