From: Frank Martin on
I have WindowsXP SP3

Where does the System Restore program reside? I want to
add it to the programs to be left alone in CCleaner.

Would I have to add some registry entry too?

Desperate, Frank

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au> wrote in message
> I have WindowsXP SP3
>
> Where does the System Restore program reside? I want to add it to the
> programs to be left alone in CCleaner.
>
> Would I have to add some registry entry too?
>
> Desperate, Frank

If you're desperate now, brace yourself for some real desparation when
CCCleaner damages your Windows installation. Like most registry cleaners it
is useless (at best) and destructive (at worst). Have you ever used a
stopwatch to actually measure the numerous benefits it boasts about or do
you rely on the warm feeling that you get inside when reading about the
wonderful things it will do? Many people use the word "snake oil" when
talking about registry cleaners.

The System Restore program is called rstrui.exe and it normally dwells in
the folder c:\windows\restore.

From: John Inzer on
Frank Martin wrote:
> I have WindowsXP SP3
>
> Where does the System Restore program reside? I want to
> add it to the programs to be left alone in CCleaner.
>
> Would I have to add some registry entry too?
>
> Desperate, Frank
====================================
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

C:\System Volume Information\_restore

I don't think System Restore is affected by CCleaner
(at least I've never had an issue with it).

However...if you open CCleaner and go to...Tools /
System Restore button...you can manually remove
one or more restore points.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

From: Frank Martin on

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au> wrote in message
>> I have WindowsXP SP3
>>
>> Where does the System Restore program reside? I want to
>> add it to the programs to be left alone in CCleaner.
>>
>> Would I have to add some registry entry too?
>>
>> Desperate, Frank
>
> If you're desperate now, brace yourself for some real
> desparation when CCCleaner damages your Windows
> installation. Like most registry cleaners it is useless
> (at best) and destructive (at worst). Have you ever used a
> stopwatch to actually measure the numerous benefits it
> boasts about or do you rely on the warm feeling that you
> get inside when reading about the wonderful things it will
> do? Many people use the word "snake oil" when talking
> about registry cleaners.
>
> The System Restore program is called rstrui.exe and it
> normally dwells in the folder c:\windows\restore.

Thank you. I use the "Microsoft RegClean" for the registry.

Is there a Microsoft product equivalent to CCleaner? I
would like to know about it. Is there one in the
"SysInternals" suite? I have leased out space in my
computer to all sorts of software because Microsoft does not
seem to have anything like them. Can you suggest any
better software to do CCleaner's job?

Wary of the Thought Police:
Frank

From: DL on
Microsoft Reg Clean is no longer supported by MS
According to MS registry cleaners do not give any advantage
If you don't know how to clean up your registry manually why would you want
to trust this to a tool?

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au> wrote in message
>>> I have WindowsXP SP3
>>>
>>> Where does the System Restore program reside? I want to add it to the
>>> programs to be left alone in CCleaner.
>>>
>>> Would I have to add some registry entry too?
>>>
>>> Desperate, Frank
>>
>> If you're desperate now, brace yourself for some real desparation when
>> CCCleaner damages your Windows installation. Like most registry cleaners
>> it is useless (at best) and destructive (at worst). Have you ever used a
>> stopwatch to actually measure the numerous benefits it boasts about or do
>> you rely on the warm feeling that you get inside when reading about the
>> wonderful things it will do? Many people use the word "snake oil" when
>> talking about registry cleaners.
>>
>> The System Restore program is called rstrui.exe and it normally dwells in
>> the folder c:\windows\restore.
>

> Thank you. I use the "Microsoft RegClean" for the registry.
>
> Is there a Microsoft product equivalent to CCleaner? I would like to know
> about it. Is there one in the "SysInternals" suite? I have leased out
> space in my computer to all sorts of software because Microsoft does not
> seem to have anything like them. Can you suggest any better software to
> do CCleaner's job?
>
> Wary of the Thought Police:
> Frank
>
 |  Next  |  Last