From: Twayne on
In news:OoeZI6C3KHA.4336(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
DL <invalid(a)nowhere.com> typed:
> Microsoft Reg Clean is no longer supported by MS
> According to MS registry cleaners do not give any advantage
> If you don't know how to clean up your registry manually
> why would you want to trust this to a tool?

Umm, does that mean you don't use any software applications as
tools? No word processor, no spread sheet, no coding, no
menues, no macros, no msconfig, no services, no background
tasks, all of which are tools? etc. etc.? What do you do
when you want to decompress a file? Do it by hand, scribbling
it all out on paper and then copying the code back into a
program format? What about when you install a program? Do you
make all the registry changes yourself manually? Or do you let
the program make changes necessary for you? If you try to say
you don't use any software that needs the registry I'll call
you a liar. It must be a real ball watching you trying to send
an e-mail or post to a newsgroup!

lol, have fun!

From: Twayne on
In news:EC2990B0-A2FA-46B5-9FC3-274C3932C5DA(a)microsoft.com,
peter <peter(a)nowhere.net> typed:
> I have used CCleaner for years and it never ever has done
> any damage to my registry...
> BUT I read every line it wishes to correct just to be sure
> and if in doubt I leave the line alone.
> CCleaner can be run without running the reg cleaner part
> and as such it still is a valuable
> tool .
> peter

Intelligent response. I wish more folks had your attitude.
It's always best to know what you're causing to happen and
you'll learn things a lot faster that way, too.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Bob I on

HeyBub wrote:

> Frank Martin wrote:
>
>>>If you're desperate now, brace yourself for some real
>>>desparation when CCCleaner damages your Windows
>>>installation. Like most registry cleaners it is useless
>>>(at best) and destructive (at worst). Have you ever used a
>>>stopwatch to actually measure the numerous benefits it
>>>boasts about or do you rely on the warm feeling that you
>>>get inside when reading about the wonderful things it will
>>>do? Many people use the word "snake oil" when talking
>>>about registry cleaners.
>>>
>>>The System Restore program is called rstrui.exe and it
>>>normally dwells in the folder c:\windows\restore.
>>

>>Thank you. I use the "Microsoft RegClean" for the registry.
>

> There is a body of thought that Microsoft's "Reg Clean" was a placebo. That
> is, it did virtually nothing aside from giving the user the soothing
> illusion that his registry was now "clean."

Placebo, Nothing!! Actually it pooched Microsoft Office entries which
then required one to reinstall Office to straighten out the problems.

From: Frank Martin on

"Lem" <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote in message
> Frank Martin wrote:
>> "John Inzer" <oobie(a)doobie.zyx> wrote in message

>>> ====================================
>>> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
>>>
>>> C:\System Volume Information\_restore
>>>
>>> I don't think System Restore is affected by CCleaner
>>> (at least I've never had an issue with it).
>>>
>>> However...if you open CCleaner and go to...Tools /
>>> System Restore button...you can manually remove
>>> one or more restore points.
>>>

>> My ideal was to leave about 3 Restore points in.
>
> You can *NOT* arbitrarily remove restore points (and
> expect System Restore to work afterwards).
>
> You can delete all but the most recent restore point
> (using the built-in Disk Cleanup tool (cleanmgr.exe).
>
> Or you can reduce the amount of space allocated to System
> Restore from its default of 12% of your partition to about
> 1 GB (using the System Restore tab/Settings button from
> System Properties). As you reduce the allocated space,
> System Restore automatically removes restore points,
> starting with the oldest.
>
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

System Restore has saved my life on several occasions, even
when installing new printers, so I want to keep a few points
on the system.

Can I store the extra restore points on a memory stick? Is
there a way to export them via software or should I just
copy over some files?

The C:\System Volume Information\*.* folder seems to hold
the restore info; is this enough to transfer over?

Frank

From: Pegasus [MVP] on
"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> Almost NO ONE, but this small group of idiots use the term "SNAKE OIL"
> when they talk about registry cleaners. Twayne`

It always amuses me when someone attempts to strengthen his weak technical
reasoning with abusive language.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Missing files