From: Russ on
I managed to pick up a nasty Cryptic trojan horse and all my attempts
to scan the drive with updated software have failed. I think this
thing has got my internet connx locked up pretty well. I figured I
would format my C drive after saving most of my data. Now when I give
the command to format via Win Explorer or My Computer, I get the
following msg:

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other
programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is
displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.

I tried to stop any programs using task manager, but then lost my
other icons so I could not start up Win Expl or My Computer. Any help
would be appreciated.
From: John John - MVP on
Russ wrote:
> I managed to pick up a nasty Cryptic trojan horse and all my attempts
> to scan the drive with updated software have failed. I think this
> thing has got my internet connx locked up pretty well. I figured I
> would format my C drive after saving most of my data. Now when I give
> the command to format via Win Explorer or My Computer, I get the
> following msg:
>
> Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other
> programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is
> displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.
>
> I tried to stop any programs using task manager, but then lost my
> other icons so I could not start up Win Expl or My Computer. Any help
> would be appreciated.

You are asking Windows to commit suicide... it won't do it! Boot the
computer with your Windows XP CD and select to install Windows, when at
the disk and partition selection screen you will be offered the
opportunity to format the drive.

John
From: neil on
You need to boot from an installation CD to format the hard drive, you can't
do it from within windows (as you've found out)

If Windows was preinstalled then you need to carry out the manufacturers
recovery.
Neil

From: dadiOH on
Russ wrote:
> I managed to pick up a nasty Cryptic trojan horse and all my attempts
> to scan the drive with updated software have failed. I think this
> thing has got my internet connx locked up pretty well. I figured I
> would format my C drive after saving most of my data. Now when I give
> the command to format via Win Explorer or My Computer, I get the
> following msg:
>
> Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other
> programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is
> displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again.
>
> I tried to stop any programs using task manager, but then lost my
> other icons so I could not start up Win Expl or My Computer. Any help
> would be appreciated.

You can't format the drive containing Windows *from* Windows. Do it from
DOS - not a DOS window - or boot from the Windows install CD.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Russ on