From: carlE on
I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: <carlE(a)westerw.org>

| I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
| on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
| on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

No, bad idea!

--
Dave

From: Rich Webb on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500, carlE(a)westerw.org wrote:

>I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
>on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
>on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

Try over at http://www.virustotal.com/ for an on-line second, third,
fourth, ... opinion. It's a useful service.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: FromTheRafters on
<carlE(a)westerw.org> wrote in message
>I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
> on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
> on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

It is probably possible, but I don't know for sure.

That being said, I have had two AV icons on my system tray for years
with no problems at all. I use ClamWin in the manner in which you intend
to use AVG. ClamWin has no active scanning component, but it *does* run
an update program, so both of my AVs keep themselves updated and prompt
me when upgrades become available.

As Rich suggested, there are online file submission scanners you can use
for help with additional opinions (virustotal.com, jotti.org, and
virscan.org to name a few - and they all communicate findings with the
participating vendors).

From: gufus on
From: carlE(a)westerw.org
Subj: Free AVG Question??Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500

Hello, carlE(a)westerw.org!

You wrote on Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:28:33 -0500:

c> I have Avast Premium as my main AV. Is it possible to have Free AVG
c> on my comp at the same time, not set for on-access scans, but only for
c> on-demand scans to double-check a file that Avast says is infected?

My answer.

Avira

Support information
Internet: http://www.avira.com/premium-support

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: bad virus
Next: bad virus {credibility alert}