From: FromTheRafters on
"Toxic" <staring(a)my_hd.tv> wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:43:03 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
>

>> Usenet binaries can only be trusted if you are *looking* for malware.
>
> Including all the many jpegs found on binaries newsgroups?

I was going to write "program binaries" above, but figured the context
was already established.

I have an excellent collection of usenet binaries (an M.C.Escher
collection and some really interesting fractal geometry and other math
related pieces).

But yes, even jpegs - if a popular program mishandles jpeg data, you
will probably find malware exploiting it in those groups as well. This
would not be as likely on a website with a contactable webmaster (or an
FTP from a personal contact).

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| I was going to write "program binaries" above, but figured the context
| was already established.

| I have an excellent collection of usenet binaries (an M.C.Escher
| collection and some really interesting fractal geometry and other math
| related pieces).

| But yes, even jpegs - if a popular program mishandles jpeg data, you
| will probably find malware exploiting it in those groups as well. This
| would not be as likely on a website with a contactable webmaster (or an
| FTP from a personal contact).

Some of the binaries that are malicious are NOT executables but are media files exploiting
Windows DRM such as Wimad trojans.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on

> then there was that MP3 player by Kim Vanvaeck...

Could you expand on that?

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | I was going to write "program binaries" above, but figured the
> context
> | was already established.
>
> | I have an excellent collection of usenet binaries (an M.C.Escher
> | collection and some really interesting fractal geometry and other
> math
> | related pieces).
>
> | But yes, even jpegs - if a popular program mishandles jpeg data, you
> | will probably find malware exploiting it in those groups as well.
> This
> | would not be as likely on a website with a contactable webmaster (or
> an
> | FTP from a personal contact).
>
> Some of the binaries that are malicious are NOT executables but are
> media files exploiting
> Windows DRM such as Wimad trojans.

Exploiting in this case meaning the utilization of an IMO ill conceived
feature of the filetype which is supported by the player rather than an
exploit of a software flaw. Still, I would file that under "mishandling
data" and I have long considered WMP to be a trojan. Why would anyone
want a media file to cause the browser to fire up and visit a URL
supplied by what should always be considered untrusted input?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | I was going to write "program binaries" above, but figured the
>> context
>> | was already established.

>> | I have an excellent collection of usenet binaries (an M.C.Escher
>> | collection and some really interesting fractal geometry and other
>> math
>> | related pieces).

>> | But yes, even jpegs - if a popular program mishandles jpeg data, you
>> | will probably find malware exploiting it in those groups as well.
>> This
>> | would not be as likely on a website with a contactable webmaster (or
>> an
>> | FTP from a personal contact).

>> Some of the binaries that are malicious are NOT executables but are
>> media files exploiting
>> Windows DRM such as Wimad trojans.

| Exploiting in this case meaning the utilization of an IMO ill conceived
| feature of the filetype which is supported by the player rather than an
| exploit of a software flaw. Still, I would file that under "mishandling
| data" and I have long considered WMP to be a trojan. Why would anyone
| want a media file to cause the browser to fire up and visit a URL
| supplied by what should always be considered untrusted input?

Some believe it is a good idea to connect to the web to get a license for a media file or
such things ans artist or album information. That concept is what's being exploited.
Instead of getting a licence the malwre is obtained. Zango is well known for exploting
the DRM "feature".

--
Dave

 |  Next  |  Last