From: BrianInNY on
Quick question regarding an infected PC with a cable-download
connection. Once infected with a "trojan" virus, must the infected PC
be actively connected to the internet (via Explorer or AOL) for the
invader to obtain information, or is the fact that the PC is simply
booted up and "on" enough to be at risk? Thanks ~~ Brian. Only
answers from those who know, please.

And please, no posts asking how many groups to which the same question
has been posted. We all know who the group troll is. We all know the
19 hours a day you spend shackled to your computer desk is your only
human contact. And we know know that the "reprimanding" you do online
is revenge for countless school episodes of having your milk money
taken and being pantsed in front of the girls' gym. Do yourself a
favor and spend at least an hour away from the glare of that computer
screen. You must be as pale as a ghost. Take my advice. Before you
know it, you'll be brushing your teeth on a regular basis and dating
women. Well....maybe not dating women...but you get the idea. Stop
worrying if someone poses the same question in more than one group.
We're just regular people looking for answers.
From: FromTheRafters on
"BrianInNY" <bjn3115(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> Quick question regarding an infected PC with a cable-download
> connection. Once infected with a "trojan" virus,

There's no such thing as a trojan virus (it's a misnomer as far as
classifications go). If you are creating a trojan, and you add the
ability for it to self-replicate, it becomes a virus and is no longer
treated as (or termed) a trojan.

> must the infected PC
> be actively connected to the internet (via Explorer or AOL) for the
> invader to obtain information,

A spyware trojan can "gather" information even when you are not
"connected" - but for someone to "obtain" that gathered information,
some kind of connection (or physical access) must be made.

> or is the fact that the PC is simply booted up and "on" enough to be
> at risk?

Just *on* is sufficient in some cases. Even before fully booted, some
kinds of malware can "communicate" via networking.

> Thanks ~~ Brian. Only
> answers from those who know, please.

Oh, sure, *now* you tell me. You could have put this at the top and
saved us both a lot of time.

[...]

P.S. Don't shout, you'll wake the baby.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "BrianInNY" <bjn3115(a)aol.com>

| Quick question regarding an infected PC with a cable-download
| connection. Once infected with a "trojan" virus, must the infected PC
| be actively connected to the internet (via Explorer or AOL) for the
| invader to obtain information, or is the fact that the PC is simply
| booted up and "on" enough to be at risk? Thanks ~~ Brian. Only
| answers from those who know, please.

< garbage snipped >

Either it is a trojan or a virus, it rarely is both. Albeit I have seen IRCbots infected
with the Parite in Zapchests. In that case it is a virus infected trojan not a "trojan
virus".

What you ask all depends on the type of trojan. If you are connected to the Internet a
data stealer or password stealer will exfiltrate your data as soon as it can. Explorer
and AOL have nothing to do with it. The malware will have its own means to exfiltarte
like its own FTP engine or HTTP post w/o using a Browser.

--
Dave