From: Abby Brown on
Hi,

Altera's Quartus II does not include a free simulator. Is there
a free VHDL or Verilog simulator that is reasonalbly good?
Google shows a few but I would prefer a recommendation.

Thanks,
Gary

From: Patrick Maupin on
On Mar 29, 3:22 pm, "Abby Brown" <abbybr...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Altera's Quartus II does not include a free simulator.  Is there
> a free VHDL or Verilog simulator that is reasonalbly good?
> Google shows a few but I would prefer a recommendation.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

Icarus is great.

Also, if you have heavy-duty sims that take a lot of time, and don't
mind doing a little test jig coding in C or C++, verilator is great
and fast (but it is only a 2 state simulator, not a 4 state
simulator).

Regards,
Pat
From: Alan Fitch on
On 29/03/10 21:22, Abby Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Altera's Quartus II does not include a free simulator. Is there
> a free VHDL or Verilog simulator that is reasonalbly good?
> Google shows a few but I would prefer a recommendation.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

Depends what you mean by "include" - you can download a completely free
version of Modelsim from the Altera Website,

regards
Alan

--
Alan Fitch
From: Abby Brown on
>> Altera's Quartus II does not include a free simulator. Is
>> there
>> a free VHDL or Verilog simulator that is reasonalbly good?
>> Google shows a few but I would prefer a recommendation.
>>
> Depends what you mean by "include" - you can download a
> completely free
> version of Modelsim from the Altera Website,
> Alan Fitch

Good. That appears to be brand new. Last time I looked
Modelsim was available only with a subscription. My bdf to C#
generator is now working but Modelsim is a backup.

Thanks,
Gary

From: Jeff Cunningham on
On 4/2/10 11:30 AM, Abby Brown wrote:
>>> Altera's Quartus II does not include a free simulator. Is
>>> there
>>> a free VHDL or Verilog simulator that is reasonalbly good?
>>> Google shows a few but I would prefer a recommendation.
>>>
>> Depends what you mean by "include" - you can download a
>> completely free
>> version of Modelsim from the Altera Website,
>> Alan Fitch
>
> Good. That appears to be brand new. Last time I looked
> Modelsim was available only with a subscription. My bdf to C#
> generator is now working but Modelsim is a backup.

The free versions of Modelsim have been available for years (also
through xilinx - look for "starter edition") but are really usable for
small designs. Once your design goes over a certain number of statements
(I think 500 or something like that) execution slows to a crawl.

-Jeff