From: Understudy on
Hi all,

I have FreeBSD 6.2 installed on my laptop. I just installed the
vmware3-3.2.1.2242_13,1 port. I then ran the vmware-wizard. I then ran
vmware and I am getting this:
[bhorne(a)Gargoyle:~, 11:16 AM, Wed Nov 22]>vmware
Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.

VMware Workstation Error:
Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Press "Enter" to continue...

VMware Workstation Error:
Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Press "Enter" to continue...

VMware Workstation Error:
Failed to initialize monitor device.

Press "Enter" to continue...

VMware Workstation Error:
Failed to initialize monitor device.

Press "Enter" to continue...

VMware Workstation Error:
Failed to initialize monitor device.

Press "Enter" to continue...

[bhorne(a)Gargoyle:~, 11:44 AM, Wed Nov 22]>

I really just don't understand what I need to do to fix this and google
hasn't been helpful.

Do I need to create /dev/vmmon?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
From: Michel Talon on
Understudy <brendhan(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have FreeBSD 6.2 installed on my laptop. I just installed the
> vmware3-3.2.1.2242_13,1 port. I then ran the vmware-wizard. I then ran
> vmware and I am getting this:
> [bhorne(a)Gargoyle:~, 11:16 AM, Wed Nov 22]>vmware
> Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.
>

> VMware Workstation Error:
> Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
> Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

When you install vmware, there is a perl script which builds a kernel
module called vmmon. You have to load this kernel module before running
vmware. At least this is what i recall from doing that under Linux.
Why don't you run qemu, it is far easier, and gratis?

--

Michel TALON

From: Ryan A. Krenzischek on

Check to see if there is a vmware-config.pl script. This should properly
set up your box in order for vmware to function properly. You will also
want to ensure that you have started the vmware service (it sets up the
interfaces and starts dhcp for vmware, if needed).

Regards,

Ryan

From: Ryan A. Krenzischek on

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Robert Kopp wrote:

> This, however, may be of limited interest, since it's difficult to get a
> serial number for VMWare 3. I note that development is continuing on more
> recent versions, so should those with registration numbers for such
> versions expect that eventually they will be useful on FreeBSD?

The serial/registration numbers are tied to the major/minor version
numbers of the software release. So unless it is a recent version of
Vmware, getting a serial number will be rather difficult since Vmware 3 is
no longer supported.

> I didn't have any trouble installing qemu, and the kqemu module is available
> on my system. Can someone recommend a tutorial that is particularly easy to
> follow?

There is a easy "howto" to get qemu setup and operational here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~maho/qemu/qemu.html

The take a look at the quick start guide at:

http://kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/QuickStartGuide

You will need to make some assumptions as the QEMU Wiki assumes a Windows
or Linux host.

Regards,

Ryan