From: luckypunch on
Hi

I've got some troubles while installing FreeBSD 6.1 on the new Dell
PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i RAID Controller and three 300GB harddisks.

If I run the setup everything works fine, but the step with the fdisk I
get the following warning:
WARNING: A geometry of 72809/255/63 for mfid0 is incorrect.
Using a more likely geometry. If this geometry is incorrect or you are
unsure
as to whether or not it's correct, please consult the Hardware Guide in the
Documentation submenu or use the (G)eometry command to change it now.

Does someone know this problem? I searchd around the forums but I didn't
get an answer.
From: Lowell Gilbert on
luckypunch <drachenboot(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I've got some troubles while installing FreeBSD 6.1 on the new Dell
> PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i RAID Controller and three 300GB
> harddisks.
>
> If I run the setup everything works fine, but the step with the fdisk
> I get the following warning:
> WARNING: A geometry of 72809/255/63 for mfid0 is incorrect.
> Using a more likely geometry. If this geometry is incorrect or you are
> unsure
> as to whether or not it's correct, please consult the Hardware Guide in the
> Documentation submenu or use the (G)eometry command to change it now.
>
> Does someone know this problem? I searchd around the forums but I
> didn't get an answer.

It's been years since I've seen hardware that had problem at that
point. These days, hard drives always use fictitious geometries.
Do you have an actual problem, or are you just worried about the
warning message?
From: luckypunch on
Robert Kopp schrieb:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> luckypunch <drachenboot(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've got some troubles while installing FreeBSD 6.1 on the new Dell
>>> PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i RAID Controller and three 300GB
>>> harddisks.
>>>
>>> If I run the setup everything works fine, but the step with the fdisk
>>> I get the following warning:
>>> WARNING: A geometry of 72809/255/63 for mfid0 is incorrect.
>>> Using a more likely geometry. If this geometry is incorrect or you are
>>> unsure
>>> as to whether or not it's correct, please consult the Hardware Guide in
>>> the Documentation submenu or use the (G)eometry command to change it now.
>>>
>>> Does someone know this problem? I searchd around the forums but I
>>> didn't get an answer.
>> It's been years since I've seen hardware that had problem at that
>> point. These days, hard drives always use fictitious geometries.
>> Do you have an actual problem, or are you just worried about the
>> warning message?
>
> Ignore it and continue the installation. That's what I did.

I already tryied to ignore it, but the Setupinstallation couldn't copy
the files to the disk. I can't install FreeBSD!
From: Lowell Gilbert on
luckypunch <drachenboot(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Robert Kopp schrieb:
>> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> It's been years since I've seen hardware that had problem at that
>>> point. These days, hard drives always use fictitious geometries.
>>> Do you have an actual problem, or are you just worried about the
>>> warning message?
>>
>> Ignore it and continue the installation. That's what I did.
>>
> I already tryied to ignore it, but the Setupinstallation couldn't copy
> the files to the disk. I can't install FreeBSD!

And what is the error when it actually fails?
From: luckypunch on
Lowell Gilbert schrieb:
> luckypunch <drachenboot(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Robert Kopp schrieb:

>>> Ignore it and continue the installation. That's what I did.
>>>
>> I already tryied to ignore it, but the Setupinstallation couldn't copy
>> the files to the disk. I can't install FreeBSD!
>
> And what is the error when it actually fails?

After configuring the partitions and the slices he'll write to the disk,
but the following errormessage occurs:

unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: FreeBSD vmware Winxp
Next: SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?