From: Gary R. Schmidt on
Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> FYI: I use them on a regular basis for a /multitude/ of completely valid
>> software. *Never*, however, should hex editor programs be treated as
>> if they were only some kind of hacker tools!
>
> Maybe on mainframe scenario, not in the PC scenario.

Yes, in peecees, and minis, and supercomputers, and embedded
micro-controllers.

When *data* is important, you need a way to get at it that *can't* be
fooled, and the only way to do that is with a hex editor, or equivalent
(I've no idea how many times I have written a quick-and-dirty program to
dump out some chunk of data[1] in a vaguely readable form).

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - Since a lot of my life has been spent in the computer language
runtime sphere, data, to me, also includes programs in various states,
binaries, p-code, S-records, various token representations, object code,
core dumps, physical memory, and so on. And data on various different
types of wires - from RS-232 and 422 through the collected x.bis things
that we went through with modems, on to ethernet and ATM and fiber and more.
From: Man-wai Chang on
> 1 - Since a lot of my life has been spent in the computer language
> runtime sphere, data, to me, also includes programs in various states,
> binaries, p-code, S-records, various token representations, object code,
> core dumps, physical memory, and so on. And data on various different
> types of wires - from RS-232 and 422 through the collected x.bis things
> that we went through with modems, on to ethernet and ATM and fiber and
> more.

Maybe I am lucky. I have never seen strange data infiltrating my
Foxpro/PHP applications. :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
From: Gary R. Schmidt on
Man-wai Chang wrote:
>> 1 - Since a lot of my life has been spent in the computer language
>> runtime sphere, data, to me, also includes programs in various states,
>> binaries, p-code, S-records, various token representations, object code,
>> core dumps, physical memory, and so on. And data on various different
>> types of wires - from RS-232 and 422 through the collected x.bis things
>> that we went through with modems, on to ethernet and ATM and fiber and
>> more.
>
> Maybe I am lucky. I have never seen strange data infiltrating my
> Foxpro/PHP applications. :)

So you never saw the bug in Foxpro back in the Xenix-286 days where you
could use the name "X" and the name "x" and have things go pear-shaped?

Cheers,
Gary B-)
From: Man-wai Chang on
> So you never saw the bug in Foxpro back in the Xenix-286 days where you
> could use the name "X" and the name "x" and have things go pear-shaped?

Never worked with Xenix, and it's dead now that we have Linux and
Harbour Project. :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
^ ^ 21:49:01 up 1 day 5:17 0 users load average: 1.08 1.06 1.08