From: T0M on
"wasbit" <wasbit[removethis]@hotmail.com> a �crit:

>>Binary/Hex/Base

A big thank !
As always, very intersting list

T0M

From: B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:27:32 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:

[Hex editor programs]
> I have never needed to use a hex editor to debug business applications.
> I think they are only useful for hacking copy protection....

FYI: I use them on a regular basis for a /multitude/ of completely valid
and legal purposes. Only 3 days ago I repaired a corrupt *.dbf file.
Manual data restoration on images of defective hard drives (never touch
the original drive after the imaging to avoid further destructions!) and
malware analysis also come to mind, instantaneously.

A likewise common task is the analysis of unknown files. I sometimes
get files from mainframe computers or data-loggers (sometimes more
than 20 years old) with unknown internal structure. Without suitable
tools (hex editor programs upfront among them) it would be nearly
impossible to determine an algorithm for data conversion into a current
data format.

Hex editor programs with memory editing can be used to extract data
from frozen programs. As long as people don't panic and reboot or
do likewise inconsiderate things, invaluable data (or at least a
lot of time and effort) may be saved.

Btw.: Debuggers usually come with sophisticated built-in hex-view and
hex-editing. The best ones in fact permit memory breakpoints and the
like.

Hex editor programs are low-level system tools. Most users will never
use them, either because they really don't need them, probably more
often, because they don't know, /how/ they could put them to use.
Nevertheless, they are a useful and sometimes even necessary kind of
software. *Never*, however, should hex editor programs be treated as
if they were only some kind of hacker tools!

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===
From: Man-wai Chang on
> FYI: I use them on a regular basis for a /multitude/ of completely valid
> software. *Never*, however, should hex editor programs be treated as
> if they were only some kind of hacker tools!

Maybe on mainframe scenario, not in the PC scenario.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35
From: za kAT on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 00:40:14 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:

>> FYI: I use them on a regular basis for a /multitude/ of completely valid
>> software. *Never*, however, should hex editor programs be treated as
>> if they were only some kind of hacker tools!
>
> Maybe on mainframe scenario, not in the PC scenario.

No BeAr's right they have all kinds of uses.

Recent case I had where a client couldn't logon to a wireless AP.

Long story short, the ESSID contained a printing character, which looked
like a space in the browser interface they were using.

Hex editor confirmed the exact character code.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: za kAT on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:56:29 +0100, za kAT wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 00:40:14 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:
>
>>> FYI: I use them on a regular basis for a /multitude/ of completely valid
>>> software. *Never*, however, should hex editor programs be treated as
>>> if they were only some kind of hacker tools!
>>
>> Maybe on mainframe scenario, not in the PC scenario.
>
> No BeAr's right they have all kinds of uses.
>
> Recent case I had where a client couldn't logon to a wireless AP.
>
> Long story short, the ESSID contained a printing character, which looked
> like a space in the browser interface they were using.
>
> Hex editor confirmed the exact character code.

Forgot to add, I use http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ . In case you are
interested.