From: Richard Webb on
On Tue 2038-Feb-09 23:09, Steve M writes:

> If all channels have the EQ dialed to the exact same settings (other
> than "0"), the person operating the
> console has no business doing so.

I've essentially said that, and other such things and been
accused of being less than kind. But, dislike it or not
it's the sad sad truth. Anybody who has such a limited
understanding of what's going on with a mixing console
shouldn't be operating one wherever people are paying for
the dubious privilege of listening to the results, even if
that payment is just buying a glass of beer.

IF that hurts somebody's feelings that's just too damned
bad!!!

Regards,
Richard
.... IF you suck louder won't help.
From: liquidator on

"Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
message news:db7_201002100903(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...
> On Tue 2038-Feb-09 23:09, Steve M writes:
>
>> If all channels have the EQ dialed to the exact same settings (other
>> than "0"), the person operating the
>> console has no business doing so.
>
> I've essentially said that, and other such things and been
> accused of being less than kind. But, dislike it or not
> it's the sad sad truth. Anybody who has such a limited
> understanding of what's going on with a mixing console
> shouldn't be operating one wherever people are paying for
> the dubious privilege of listening to the results, even if
> that payment is just buying a glass of beer.
>
> IF that hurts somebody's feelings that's just too damned
> bad!!!

When American soldiers were in Vietnam, they told the story of the legendary
Foo bird.

Guys who wiped off it's poop geberally died.

The Moral? If the Foo shits, wear it.

From: Audio1 on
Steve M wrote:
> "DanielleOM" wrote:
>> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency settings
>> turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
>>

> Simple answer:
> If all channels have the EQ dialed to the exact same settings (other than
> "0"), the person operating the console has no business doing so.

Simple answers rarely apply anywhere but very simple situations. In
DanielleOM's case this answer possibly applies, but we have no knowledge
of her friend's training or experience.

A case where the answer is not so simple (from personal experience,
names will be withheld to protect the ignorant) is where you're handed a
system but not allowed to make certain adjustments. I was called upon
to mix a local band opening a stadium show with multiple acts. I was
allowed 14 channels of the 'opener board,' a Midas PRO5, and after
hearing my test CD's through the system was told 'No house EQ
adjustments allowed,' because it seemed whoever adjusted the house
system had a big liking for 300-500 Hz. They also wouldn't allow any
patching into the PRO5 (the patch bay had MIL phone jacks and 1/4" will
screw them up). This company, one capable of fielding at least half a
dozen stadium-capable PA's at a time, used their own design console for
the headliner, a console that unfolded such that the power supplies sat
in the bottom of the integral stand, the aux bus pots, faders and
snazzy, fluorescent channel meters were level with the deck, and the
channel EQ and gain was at a 45 degree slant from level, a very nice
setup for the era.

With five minutes left before the gates opened we did a quick drum and
line check, then waited for our time onstage. While waiting I casually
dropped 400 Hz about 5 dB on every one of my channels, and when my band
started I spent the first song getting the mix together with very
pleasant results for the rest of our 45 minute set. When my band
finished I quickly zeroed out all the channel EQ's and headed for
catering. About twenty minutes later one of the big sound company's
system techs comes up to me and asks 'What did you do to the EQ?' I
said 'What EQ, I wasn't allowed to touch your house EQ's and your guy
was there the whole time.' He said, 'You did something, these guys
(thumb towards the stage) sound middy.' I replied, 'Well, it must be
how I mix.'

They seemed to figure it out at some point, the system lost it's middy
bump before the headliner started, and while there I got two offers to
mix other bands, one from the band that followed us.

Things are rarely simple enough for simple answers.
From: liquidator on

"Audio1" <Audio1(a)where.net> wrote in message
> Steve M wrote:
>> "DanielleOM" wrote:
>>> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency
>>> settings
>>> turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
>>>

>> Simple answer:
>> If all channels have the EQ dialed to the exact same settings (other than
>> "0"), the person operating the console has no business doing so.
>
> Simple answers rarely apply anywhere but very simple situations. In
> DanielleOM's case this answer possibly applies, but we have no knowledge
> of her friend's training or experience.
>
> A case where the answer is not so simple (from personal experience, names
> will be withheld to protect the ignorant) is where you're handed a system
> but not allowed to make certain adjustments. I was called upon to mix a
> local band opening a stadium show with multiple acts. I was allowed 14
> channels of the 'opener board,' a Midas PRO5, and after hearing my test
> CD's through the system was told 'No house EQ adjustments allowed,'
> because it seemed whoever adjusted the house system had a big liking for
> 300-500 Hz. They also wouldn't allow any patching into the PRO5 (the
> patch bay had MIL phone jacks and 1/4" will screw them up). This company,
> one capable of fielding at least half a dozen stadium-capable PA's at a
> time, used their own design console for the headliner, a console that
> unfolded such that the power supplies sat in the bottom of the integral
> stand, the aux bus pots, faders and snazzy, fluorescent channel meters
> were level with the deck, and the channel EQ and gain was at a 45 degree
> slant from level, a very nice setup for the era.
>
> With five minutes left before the gates opened we did a quick drum and
> line check, then waited for our time onstage. While waiting I casually
> dropped 400 Hz about 5 dB on every one of my channels, and when my band
> started I spent the first song getting the mix together with very pleasant
> results for the rest of our 45 minute set. When my band finished I
> quickly zeroed out all the channel EQ's and headed for catering. About
> twenty minutes later one of the big sound company's system techs comes up
> to me and asks 'What did you do to the EQ?' I said 'What EQ, I wasn't
> allowed to touch your house EQ's and your guy was there the whole time.'
> He said, 'You did something, these guys (thumb towards the stage) sound
> middy.' I replied, 'Well, it must be how I mix.'
>
> They seemed to figure it out at some point, the system lost it's middy
> bump before the headliner started, and while there I got two offers to mix
> other bands, one from the band that followed us.
>
> Things are rarely simple enough for simple answers.

I understand what you are saying but bet you a twenty you didn't have every
channel set exactly the same.

Yes if you can't touch the main EQ you do what you can. But you don't set
evey channel equal.