From: Karim434 on
My computer keeps experiencing a screen crash. The screen freezes and
the graphics become heavily pixelated and distorted. I think it also
turns progressively black over an extended period of time.

It's an old Dell laptop running Windows XP Home Edition (2002 version)
with Service Pack 3. It's an Inspiron 8500 and was purchased in late
2003. It has since been upgraded once (hard drive and RAM, in early
2007) and now has 2GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The processor
continues to be the original Mobile Intel Pentium 4 with a speed of
2.2 GHz.

When the problem started I used to get a link (on restarting) to this
site: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/11/en-GB/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=960632d3-5133-417c-bcb5-ca3e5719c196#here.
I do not get this link any more but I have no reason to doubt it is
still the same problem. I have tried the advice offered here but to no
avail.

I have also spoken to Dell and been taken through the diagnostic tests
for my computer, which failed to find any problems. According to Dell
this means there is nothing wrong with the video card; rather Windows
needs re-installing. I have also spoken to the video card manufacturer
who say that, based on the symptoms, there is a problem with the video
card and it's nothing to do with Windows.

Any suggestions for resolving the problem would be much appreciated. I
should also say that I used to connect the computer to a TV from time
to time to watch movies (involving changing some of the display
settings) which may have started the problem but I don't do that any
more.
--
Karim434
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Pixelation and corruption of the video are almost invariably hardware
problems. The Dell diagnostics won't really push the graphics
subsystem as hard as any operating system will. In fact, it only tests
the text, monochrome, CGA, EGA and low VGA modes. Some versions will
perform basic SVGA tests.

Several Dell laptops are known for developing overheating problems.
This includes the Inspiron 8x00 series, for which the i8kfangui tool
was named and written. You may try using this utility to observe the
temperatures in your system. It also supports manual operation of the
fans, and observations of their speeds. You may able to delay or
prevent the overheating by turning the fans on manually and specifying
"maintain minimum fan speed".

If the overheating is allowed to continue, the end result will be a
dead laptop. You should also clean the little "radiators" near the
vent holes on the system. These plug up with dust, thusly allowing the
system to overheat and fail. Blow clean and dry air through them in
reverse to get the dust carpets out.

William
From: Christopher Muto on
Karim434 wrote:
> My computer keeps experiencing a screen crash. The screen freezes and
> the graphics become heavily pixelated and distorted. I think it also
> turns progressively black over an extended period of time.
>
> It's an old Dell laptop running Windows XP Home Edition (2002 version)
> with Service Pack 3. It's an Inspiron 8500 and was purchased in late
> 2003. It has since been upgraded once (hard drive and RAM, in early
> 2007) and now has 2GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The processor
> continues to be the original Mobile Intel Pentium 4 with a speed of
> 2.2 GHz.
>
> When the problem started I used to get a link (on restarting) to this
> site: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/11/en-GB/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=960632d3-5133-417c-bcb5-ca3e5719c196#here.
> I do not get this link any more but I have no reason to doubt it is
> still the same problem. I have tried the advice offered here but to no
> avail.
>
> I have also spoken to Dell and been taken through the diagnostic tests
> for my computer, which failed to find any problems. According to Dell
> this means there is nothing wrong with the video card; rather Windows
> needs re-installing. I have also spoken to the video card manufacturer
> who say that, based on the symptoms, there is a problem with the video
> card and it's nothing to do with Windows.
>
> Any suggestions for resolving the problem would be much appreciated. I
> should also say that I used to connect the computer to a TV from time
> to time to watch movies (involving changing some of the display
> settings) which may have started the problem but I don't do that any
> more.
> --
> Karim434

the bad news is that video card overheating/failure in the inspiron 8500
laptop is common. the good news is that the machine is so old that
purchasing a replacement is now reasonably inexpensive. check out ebay.
where there are occasionally bargains and many regulars selling them
for about $50-60. read the following page to see if it is something you
feel that you might be able to install yourself.
http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500video.htm
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Karim434 wrote:
>> My computer keeps experiencing a screen crash. The screen freezes and
>> the graphics become heavily pixelated and distorted. I think it also
>> turns progressively black over an extended period of time.
>>
>> It's an old Dell laptop running Windows XP Home Edition (2002 version)
>> with Service Pack 3. It's an Inspiron 8500 and was purchased in late
>> 2003. It has since been upgraded once (hard drive and RAM, in early
>> 2007) and now has 2GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The processor
>> continues to be the original Mobile Intel Pentium 4 with a speed of
>> 2.2 GHz.
>>
>> When the problem started I used to get a link (on restarting) to this
>> site:
>> http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/11/en-GB/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=960632d3-5133-417c-bcb5-ca3e5719c196#here.
>>
>> I do not get this link any more but I have no reason to doubt it is
>> still the same problem. I have tried the advice offered here but to no
>> avail.
>>
>> I have also spoken to Dell and been taken through the diagnostic tests
>> for my computer, which failed to find any problems. According to Dell
>> this means there is nothing wrong with the video card; rather Windows
>> needs re-installing. I have also spoken to the video card manufacturer
>> who say that, based on the symptoms, there is a problem with the video
>> card and it's nothing to do with Windows.
>>
>> Any suggestions for resolving the problem would be much appreciated. I
>> should also say that I used to connect the computer to a TV from time
>> to time to watch movies (involving changing some of the display
>> settings) which may have started the problem but I don't do that any
>> more.
>> --
>> Karim434
>
> the bad news is that video card overheating/failure in the inspiron 8500
> laptop is common. the good news is that the machine is so old that
> purchasing a replacement is now reasonably inexpensive. check out ebay.
> where there are occasionally bargains and many regulars selling them
> for about $50-60. read the following page to see if it is something you
> feel that you might be able to install yourself.
> http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500video.htm

ps. before you buy a replacement card you can try this...
http://www.bay-wolf.com/8500videoheat.htm
From: Ben Myers on
On 5/12/2010 5:32 AM, Karim434 wrote:
> My computer keeps experiencing a screen crash. The screen freezes and
> the graphics become heavily pixelated and distorted. I think it also
> turns progressively black over an extended period of time.
>
> It's an old Dell laptop running Windows XP Home Edition (2002 version)
> with Service Pack 3. It's an Inspiron 8500 and was purchased in late
> 2003. It has since been upgraded once (hard drive and RAM, in early
> 2007) and now has 2GB of RAM and a 120GB hard drive. The processor
> continues to be the original Mobile Intel Pentium 4 with a speed of
> 2.2 GHz.
>
> When the problem started I used to get a link (on restarting) to this
> site: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/11/en-GB/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=960632d3-5133-417c-bcb5-ca3e5719c196#here.
> I do not get this link any more but I have no reason to doubt it is
> still the same problem. I have tried the advice offered here but to no
> avail.
>
> I have also spoken to Dell and been taken through the diagnostic tests
> for my computer, which failed to find any problems. According to Dell
> this means there is nothing wrong with the video card; rather Windows
> needs re-installing. I have also spoken to the video card manufacturer
> who say that, based on the symptoms, there is a problem with the video
> card and it's nothing to do with Windows.
>
> Any suggestions for resolving the problem would be much appreciated. I
> should also say that I used to connect the computer to a TV from time
> to time to watch movies (involving changing some of the display
> settings) which may have started the problem but I don't do that any
> more.
> --
> Karim434

Rubbish from Dell! The graphics card is failing, probably due to
excessive heat over the years. Replace the card and clean all the fans
and air ducts inside the 8500... Ben Myers