From: ChipInNC on

Christopher Muto;1161117 Wrote:
> MZB wrote:[color=blue]
> > ... well traveled and roughly handeled ac adapters can have a issue
> with the wire where it enters the laptop plug, or the wire could be cut
>
> or frayed, or the removable power cord may simply not be fully inserted
>
> into the adapter... but those conditions are no so common, but worth
> considering. in other words, make sure you have a good ac adapter
> before you proceed with a motherboard power jack repair.

Actually I've found that the power supply's cord/wire to the computer
is the *most common* problem I've seen. Not just at the connection to
the computer, but especially at the junction where the wire enters the
power supply itself.

If the problem is at the end connector or the jack, the customers
usually had issues with putting the computer away (in a laptop bag,
etc.) with the power supply still connected. (I know, Duh!)

If the problem is at the junction of the wire and the PS, it's usually
from a "road warrior" that travels a lot and pulls the cord tight when
wrapping the cord around the PS when packing it up. I always tell folks
to leave a 1-2 inch loose loop in the cord so that you don't bend the
cord at the junction to the PS. If any of the 3 wires in the cord get
damaged from repetitive bending, you've got to repair or replace the
PS.

Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply and
unsolder the three wires and cut off about 6 inches of the "damaged"
section, use heat shrink tubing to insulate the 3 wires properly,
re-solder the wires and glue the PS back together. But you've got to
remember to test ALL the wires in the cord for shorts to each other or
open connections to the plug. Sometimes I've had to cut down some cords
to 1/2 their length or less. Some were totally trashed.

I have more PS boxes without wires than I expected. Found a place that
sells these wires for $15 each including shipping
(http://dcplug.net/dell.html), but it's higher than I'd like to pay.
They should be about $5 or less each plus shipping ($3-$5).

I don't have a video showing you how to do it, but it's not that hard
for someone experienced with a soldering iron. That $15 cord (above)
would make it very easy for most self repair folks to do.

Good luck!

From: who where on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:04:35 -0500, ChipInNC
<ChipInNC.4avrmc(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

(snip)

>Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply

It is? Do you have a magic method, or is it something we mere mortals
could hope to emulate?
From: ChipInNC on

who where;1211748 Wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:04:35 -0500, ChipInNC
> <ChipInNC.4avrmc(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> >Luckily, it's pretty easy to pop open a Dell Laptop Power Supply
>
> It is? Do you have a magic method, or is it something we mere mortals
> could hope to emulate?

Mortal? Hmm.

I started to put this info here, but decieded it would be off topic for
this thread and created a new thread. Here's the link:

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/dell/dell-pa-12-pa-10-laptop-adapter-repair-rebuild-285998.html

I hope it helps!