From: Per Jessen on
Peter Lind wrote:

> On 1 October 2010 20:21, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
>> Peter Lind wrote:
>>
>>> C# has by now exceeded Java by quite a bit -
>>
>> I've been away from the Java "scene" since 2002 (when I worked for
>> BEA deploying J2EE on Linux/390), but assuming you're talking
>> about "deployed lines of code" or some other real-life measurement, =
>> find it hard to believe that C# should have exceeded Java.
>=20
> Language functionality. I'd much rather use C# than Java as I can do
> more in C# and easier than with Java. For instance, C# 4 has " suppor=
> for late binding to dynamic types". Does Java have an equivalent? Is
> it planned?

I don't know, but Java obviously supports late binding.=20

--=20
Per Jessen, Z=C3=BCrich (14.1=C2=B0C)

From: Peter Lind on
On 2 October 2010 11:05, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
> Peter Lind wrote:

>>> I've been away from the Java "scene" since 2002 (when I worked for
>>> BEA deploying J2EE on Linux/390), but assuming you're talking
>>> about "deployed lines of code" or some other real-life measurement, I
>>> find it hard to believe that C# should have exceeded Java.
>>
>> Language functionality. I'd much rather use C# than Java as I can do
>> more in C# and easier than with Java. For instance, C# 4 has " support
>> for late binding to dynamic types". Does Java have an equivalent? Is
>> it planned?
>
> I don't know, but Java obviously supports late binding.

I was looking more for dynamic types, much more of interest to the
average PHP dev as that's one of the typical stumbling blocks when
switching languages. And no, far as I can tell Java doesn't offer
that.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 23:42 +0100, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> tedd wrote:
> > Hi gang:
> >
> > What do you people think of the .NET framework?
> >
> > Please provide your thoughts as to cost, maintenance, benefit, and
> > whatever else you think important.
>
> .NET is loaded up with patents and pretty much Microsoft only, however
> that said it is rather good. Previous versions of C# (1/2) are
> standardized under ECMA-Script 334 and 335 which covers a lot of .NET
> however doesn't include asp.net, ado.net and windows forms - thus a nice
> open source implementation and platform is quite common now, namely
> Mono, this is .net compatible and has good support/development and has
> been used for everything from the unity game engine through to sims 3.
> Might be worth having a quick look at DotGNU and portable.net (as well
> as mod_mono for apache http - which supports as.net pages etc).
>
> Might be worth noting that Stallman (as in Richard Stallman from FSF)
> doesn't recommend using it because he's thinks MS will come with the
> patent trolls soon, however microsoft has effectively tied themselves in
> to a patent non assert ("community promise") which would prevent this.
>
> Also worth having a look at "M" for something different/interesting/from
> microsoft, and also OData which is a nice RESTful protocol.
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan

I'd like to add a little there. Although the Mono project is great, it
is always left a step behind, because Microsoft has a tendency to
release newer features of .Net that the Mono developers have to play
catch-up with.

Like Paul mentioned, it's probably not safe to let yourself be tied in
to a closed format, even if it has open parts. One only has to look back
a few years to find more examples of companies losing data because it
was locked into an old format, or being stuck with old and obsolete
versions of software because the company that makes it stopped writing
it, or went bust. This sort of thing doesn't really happen with OSS,
because there is always a community ready to take up the projects.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

> On 2 October 2010 11:05, Per Jessen <per(a)computer.org> wrote:
> > Peter Lind wrote:

> >> Language functionality. I'd much rather use C# than Java as I can do
> >> more in C# and easier than with Java. For instance, C# 4 has "
> >> support for late binding to dynamic types". Does Java have an
> >> equivalent? Is it planned?
> >
> > I don't know, but Java obviously supports late binding.
> >

> I was looking more for dynamic types, much more of interest to the average
> PHP dev as that's one of the typical stumbling blocks when switching
> languages. And no, far as I can tell Java doesn't offer that.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> --
> <hype>
> WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/plind
> BeWelcome/Couchsurfing: Fake51
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kafe15
> </hype>

I haven't done a lot of coding in Java & ASP.NET/Winform (specifically C#) yet. But from what I've seen and like so far is that ASP.NET supports unsigned primitive types (S/Byte, U/Int16, U/Int32, U/Int64) while Java doesn't - even though there are requests to have it implemented/supported back in late 1990s. Also, it's a shame that the same support doesn't carry to MS' SQL Server. It's a +1 for MySQL here! But then, if you intend to use MS' MVC in the future, it's only officially supported in v3.5+ (it's MS way of forcing people to upgrade). That being the case, it's no longer 'deploy anywhere' since Mono only supports up to v2, IIRC. PHP & Java has the major advantage of 'develop anywhere' & 'deploy anywhere'. Thus in the long run, you have lower TCO, IMO, due to the licensing for the OS and individual 'client access'...

Anywhere = any OS that will support the JDK and/or PHP binaries.

Regards,
Tommy

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3