From: tedd on
Hi gang:

What do you people think of the .NET framework?

Please provide your thoughts as to cost, maintenance, benefit, and
whatever else you think important.

Thanks,

tedd
--
-------
http://sperling.com/
From: Robert Cummings on
On 10-10-01 10:23 AM, tedd wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> What do you people think of the .NET framework?
>
> Please provide your thoughts as to cost, maintenance, benefit, and
> whatever else you think important.

Until you posted this... I didn't... bah!

Cheers,
Rob.

--
E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
From: Adam Richardson on
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> What do you people think of the .NET framework?
>
> Please provide your thoughts as to cost, maintenance, benefit, and whatever
> else you think important.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tedd
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/

particularly effective, however the toolset is very polished.

Additional costs come into play if you're using ASP.Net, as the servers
require licenses, too. However ASP.Net MVC represents a significant upgrade
over webforms ASP.Net (I've been developing websites using ASP.Net since
version 1, and I can't begin to count the number of times the markup and
postback model drove me nuts in the webforms version), and I'd have no
problem using ASP.Net MVC for most any web application. Additionally, I use
Rackspace Cloud for hosting, and it's pretty easy and cheap to spin up a
Windows server when needed.

The .Net technologies all integrate very nicely. For example, while the new
mobile OS is really late to the party (I'm not sure it will be able to
compete with Android and the iPhone), I can develop software for it using
technologies which would seem very familiar to any web or desktop
application developer.

I particularly appreciate F#, a functional language that looks a lot like
OCaml with a few .Net-centric additions, although C# has made some very nice
improvements that bring functional programming techniques to it language,
too.

That all said, I still use PHP for most of my web projects. Why? PHP is
fast, well-supported, cheap, and I like the community, although some
projects do seem to benefit from .Net (e.g., if web services are interacting
with a desktop app, it's easier to just build the whole thing using .Net
technologies.)

I could see the day when anything I would normally do in Flash is switched
over to Silverlight. I just find it a better conceived development
environment for RIA than Flash.

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Gary

> tedd wrote:
>> What do you people think of the .NET framework?
>
> It's a framework, like any other framework - can make your life
easier,
> can make your life harder by forcing you to take the path determined
as
> TOTP by its designers.
>
> That's "The One True Path", not "Top Of The Pops".

The installer and the license limit its use to just a subset of a single
platform. The attempts at producing clones on other platforms are
clouded by license and patent restrictions, and will perpetually be at
least one release behind the MS-Windows version.

In reality, .Net is a poor clone of the Java runtime environment, while
C# is a poor clone of the Java language. They were created after the
courts told Microsoft the Sun license did not allow them to subvert the
Java API to build applications that would only run on their OS.

Bob McConnell
From: Peter Lind on
On 1 October 2010 17:11, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
> From: Gary
>
>> tedd wrote:
>>> What do you people think of the .NET framework?
>>
>> It's a framework, like any other framework - can make your life
> easier,
>> can make your life harder by forcing you to take the path determined
> as
>> TOTP by its designers.
>>
>> That's "The One True Path", not "Top Of The Pops".
>
> The installer and the license limit its use to just a subset of a single
> platform. The attempts at producing clones on other platforms are
> clouded by license and patent restrictions, and will perpetually be at
> least one release behind the MS-Windows version.
>
> In reality, .Net is a poor clone of the Java runtime environment, while
> C# is a poor clone of the Java language. They were created after the
> courts told Microsoft the Sun license did not allow them to subvert the
> Java API to build applications that would only run on their OS.

C# has by now exceeded Java by quite a bit - and is, unlike Java, very
actively maintained and has fairly frequent releases with lots of new
functionality (4.0 was released this year and has functionality that
definitely makes me consider taking it on).

As for whether .Net is a better library than the JVM, I wouldn't be
able to judge that.

Regards
Peter

--