From: Phil Allison on

** Hi to all:

http://gizmodo.com/5542889/prof-dr-fritz-sennheiser-founder-ofsennheiser-dies

Interesting to see that Fritz started the Sennheiser company in the summer
of 1945 - the exact same time as the war in Europe ended. I guess the 33
year old German needed a new job.

This fact goes along nicely with an impression of Sennheiser mics that I
have held for a very long time - ie that the sods who designed and built
made them MUST have made fuses for bombs during WW2.

..... Phil

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 20/05/2010 05:27, in article 85johdFvljU1(a)mid.individual.net, "Phil
Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:

> ** Hi to all:
>
> http://gizmodo.com/5542889/prof-dr-fritz-sennheiser-founder-ofsennheiser-dies
>
> Interesting to see that Fritz started the Sennheiser company in the summer
> of 1945 - the exact same time as the war in Europe ended. I guess the 33
> year old German needed a new job.

He started teaching at the University of Hannover in 1938, and was one of
the people who started their EE department. That got bombed in 1943, which
is why they moved the EE department to the countryside. In 1945, the allies
stopped their research, which included electro-mechanic encryption devices,
and they found they had to do something to make money for buying food and
clothes, which is why they started building voltmeters for Siemens. Siemens
asked them to build mics in 1947 or so.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com