From: KentSteve on
Took my computer to an Apple-authorized service center last Tuesday for
hard-drive problems that the Apple hardware test tool identified. On
the basis of this ID, I was told by Apple to take it in. The Apple guy
(a service center with only one Apple tech) was out that day at a
service call. He looked at it the next day. His own diagnosis took
until the end of the next day day. (Was he also culturing strep
bacteria off the keyboard?) He determined what we'd already determined:
needs a new hard drive. He ordered it and said it would be in Tuesday
(two days ago). I wasn't allowed to take the computer back home
meanwhile (where I was happily running it from an external hard drive)
as he said that would require him to close the ticket -- Apple policy.
Fine. Hard drive didn't show up Tuesday as promised. He said it would
be Friday. "With the holidays and all." Huh? If I'd ordered a new
computer from the Apple Store, it damn well would have arrived, along
with the credit card bill. I mean, if there's one thing that's
dependable these days it's the entrepreneurial courier companies. So
the hard drive will be in tomorrow. Will the computer be fixed
tomorrow? No. Nobody's coming in the store tomorrow, and only two hours
on Saturday. Apparently my computer, with its guts exposed on some
bench, doesn't merit attention from the tech until Monday. Will it be
ready Monday? No. He said it will be Tuesday. Who the hell knows why. I
bought the three-year Apple Care policy, but I never bothered to look
whether labor is paid for. If it's not, and I'm out $100 or $200 for
his painstaking determination of the problem I had already identified
-- and for his indifference to the notion of timely service -- I'm
going to refuse to pay it. I could have bought a third-party hard drive
and put the beast in myself rather than deal with these twits. They're
the kind of passive-aggressive tech-heads we're all familiar with -- in
fact, some of you are just like them -- and I'm going to make sure
Steve Jobs is aware of them. So he can roll up his sleeves -- wait, he
always has his mock-turtleneck sleeves pushed up, 1980s style -- and
troubleshoot the problem. Happy Thanksgiving.

From: J.J. O'Shea on
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:42:44 -0500, KentSteve wrote
(in article <1164332564.041829.255380(a)l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>):

[trollery snipped]
Assuming that your story has any truth to it, given your attitude as shown
here and on the guitar groups, I suspect I know why you're being made to
wait. And, if it was me who was fixing your machine, you'd be waiting a whole
lot longer.

From: Dave Balderstone on
In article <0001HW.C18BD440006F95B0F058A530(a)news1.news.adelphia.net>,
J.J. O'Shea <try.not.to(a)but.see.sig> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:42:44 -0500, KentSteve wrote
> (in article <1164332564.041829.255380(a)l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>):
>
> [trollery snipped]
> Assuming that your story has any truth to it, given your attitude as shown
> here and on the guitar groups, I suspect I know why you're being made to
> wait. And, if it was me who was fixing your machine, you'd be waiting a whole
> lot longer.

Oh, I could tell stories from my days as a tech in an Apple-authorized
store many moons ago.

Weeks, we made some pricks wait, when we'd repaired their box 20
minutes after they brought it in.

And they deserved it, every one...
From: KentSteve on
Your suspicions are quite wrong. The technician's approach to my case
has nothing to do with his perceptions of my personality, because he
has none. I handed the machine to an administrative assistant and have
had only perfunctory phone contact with nameless employees, with whom
I've been uniformly patient and courteous. Their response has been to
imply, in a passive-aggressive manner, that the "service" process in no
way takes into account the needs of Apple customers, some of whom have
only one computer and are desperate to have it fixed. The process
instead depends on a combination of the tech's sketchy attendance at
work, the center's indifference to its customers' needs (or should I
say the center's childish impulse to ration its response to its
customers' needs), and, apparently, Apple's inability to get a hard
drive to its service center in less than a week, despite all the
advantages of courier services that could deliver a new machine to me
literally tomorrow if I were willing to pay for it, Thanksgiving be
damned.

Now, assuming my story does have truth to it, do you disagree that
nearly two weeks is too long to wait for a defective hard drive to be
fixed under Apple Care?

From: Shawn Hirn on
"KentSteve" <kentsteve2005(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Took my computer to an Apple-authorized service center last Tuesday for
> hard-drive problems that the Apple hardware test tool identified. On
> the basis of this ID, I was told by Apple to take it in. The Apple guy
> (a service center with only one Apple tech) was out that day at a
> service call. He looked at it the next day. His own diagnosis took
> until the end of the next day day. (Was he also culturing strep
> bacteria off the keyboard?) He determined what we'd already determined:
> needs a new hard drive. He ordered it and said it would be in Tuesday
> (two days ago). I wasn't allowed to take the computer back home
> meanwhile (where I was happily running it from an external hard drive)
> as he said that would require him to close the ticket -- Apple policy.
> Fine. Hard drive didn't show up Tuesday as promised. He said it would
> be Friday. "With the holidays and all." Huh? If I'd ordered a new
> computer from the Apple Store, it damn well would have arrived, along
> with the credit card bill. I mean, if there's one thing that's
> dependable these days it's the entrepreneurial courier companies. So
> the hard drive will be in tomorrow. Will the computer be fixed
> tomorrow? No. Nobody's coming in the store tomorrow, and only two hours
> on Saturday. Apparently my computer, with its guts exposed on some
> bench, doesn't merit attention from the tech until Monday. Will it be
> ready Monday? No. He said it will be Tuesday. Who the hell knows why. I
> bought the three-year Apple Care policy, but I never bothered to look
> whether labor is paid for. If it's not, and I'm out $100 or $200 for
> his painstaking determination of the problem I had already identified
> -- and for his indifference to the notion of timely service -- I'm
> going to refuse to pay it. I could have bought a third-party hard drive
> and put the beast in myself rather than deal with these twits. They're
> the kind of passive-aggressive tech-heads we're all familiar with -- in
> fact, some of you are just like them -- and I'm going to make sure
> Steve Jobs is aware of them. So he can roll up his sleeves -- wait, he
> always has his mock-turtleneck sleeves pushed up, 1980s style -- and
> troubleshoot the problem. Happy Thanksgiving.

Geez! For a busted hard drive on a laptop, you should have just bought
the largest 2.5" IDE drive your budget will allow and install it
yourself. For $200, you can buy a pretty decent size hard drive.
Installing a hard drive takes all of five minutes, and the directions
are easy to find via a Google search. That's what I did a couple of
years ago when the hard drive on my PowerBook died on me.