From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-04 01:21:42 -0800, Steve Carlson <scarlson(a)notformail.net> said:

> It will be interesting to see how this one pans out in tests.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020206fujifinepixhs10series.asp

I owned an earlier version of this thing. In general I found Fuji
cameras a bit fragile and heat sensitive, though I am sure they have
improved considerably in the last few years.

The real problem I have with this type of camera is that if I am going
to hang something around my neck, it might as well be a DSLR.

> Like one of my favorite super-zoom P&S cameras from the past, this one too
> has both manual zoom and focus rings in a closed lens system for protection
> from dust no matter how harsh the environment.

I liked my earlier Fujis for the manual zoom and focus rings. The Canon
S90 has a ring that can be used for either, but it is still just an
electronic switch. And there is a noticeable delay.

> My earlier Sony camera with
> a similar lens design has been through many years of prairie dust-storms
> and deserts, the sensor still clean as new.
>
> Past P&S cameras from this company had noise-free ISO1600 due to their
> previous sensor designs. Those particular models are even difficult to find
> being sold as used today because they are so worth having. Nobody wants to
> give them up.

Don't know where you got noise-free. Mine wasn't.

> Its flip-out and tilting LCD is highly valuable for nature and
> macro-photography too. I wouldn't buy a camera without that today.

Those are nice, but again they add bulk to the camera. I do really like
them for macro-photography in particular.

> It looks promising. They seem to have covered most of the bases that any
> demanding photographer would require, except for longer and shorter shutter
> speeds.
>
> One caveat, I fail to understand why their specs state ~97% viewfinder
> coverage for both LCD and EVF. If the image is coming directly from the
> sensor, as does in all electronic viewfinders, it is then always 100%
> coverage. Perhaps this is an oversight from the editor, not realizing that
> a camera of this design doesn't have the typical DSLR optical viewfinder
> drawbacks.

No, it is only 97% viewfinder coverage. They simply chose not to show
all the pixels on the sensor. If you think about it, it only shaves a
couple rows of pixels off the top or side -- hardly worth worrying
about.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Neil Harrington on

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2010-02-04 01:21:42 -0800, Steve Carlson <scarlson(a)notformail.net>
> said:
>

>> Like one of my favorite super-zoom P&S cameras from the past, this one
>> too
>> has both manual zoom and focus rings in a closed lens system for
>> protection
>> from dust no matter how harsh the environment.
>
> I liked my earlier Fujis for the manual zoom and focus rings. The Canon
> S90 has a ring that can be used for either, but it is still just an
> electronic switch. And there is a noticeable delay.

The only fixed-lens digital cameras I've owned that have real manual zooms
(not zoom-by-wire) are those in the Minolta DiMAGE 7 family and the similar
but more compact Konica Minolta A200. I love 'em for that. For speed and
accuracy a real manual zoom sure makes any motorized zoom look sick.

From: NameHere on
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:14:33 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
wrote:

>"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-02-04 01:21:42 -0800, Steve Carlson <scarlson(a)notformail.net>
>> said:
>>

>>> Like one of my favorite super-zoom P&S cameras from the past, this one
>>> too
>>> has both manual zoom and focus rings in a closed lens system for
>>> protection
>>> from dust no matter how harsh the environment.
>>
>> I liked my earlier Fujis for the manual zoom and focus rings. The Canon
>> S90 has a ring that can be used for either, but it is still just an
>> electronic switch. And there is a noticeable delay.
>
>The only fixed-lens digital cameras I've owned that have real manual zooms
>(not zoom-by-wire) are those in the Minolta DiMAGE 7 family and the similar
>but more compact Konica Minolta A200. I love 'em for that. For speed and
>accuracy a real manual zoom sure makes any motorized zoom look sick.

Though motorized zooms do have their advantages. The ultrasonic
motor-controlled zooms in the Canon P&S family can be controlled with
scripts to precisely recreate whatever zoom setting was used previously
(one of CHDK's benefits). This cannot be done with a manual zoom. For the
stop-motion animator, time-lapse photographer, kite-aerial-photographer
(KAP), and scientist, et.al., these become a paramount benefit. The typical
snapshooter will never comprehend nor embrace why this is so.

From: CEO FSS on

"Steve Carlson" <scarlson(a)notformail.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:52:34 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-02-03 21:29:42 -0800, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> said:
>>

>>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message

Why would Nikon replace the D90 after only 6 months, try in about 1 more
year.

From: nospam on
In article <hkfme4$7ov$1(a)freespeech.eternal-september.org>, CEO FSS
<ottawa(a)freespeechstore.com> wrote:

> Why would Nikon replace the D90 after only 6 months, try in about 1 more
> year.

been in a cave for a year? the d90 was announced in august 2008. it's
due for an update.