From: Space Wombat #3 on
Hello chums

My workhorse of an iMac - a G5 1.8 20", no web model has a frazzled
graphics card

The Applestore confirmed the problem, but say that the Imac is now an
official "vintage" model and that they cannot get a replacment
graphics card for it

Sooooo - a few questions

How do I find out the precisie graphics card?

Where is a good place to buy one from?

Is it a home repair, or does it require soldering etc?

Many thanks - I want to fix it 'cus I still love it, not have to bin
it!
From: Jack Campin - bogus address on
> My workhorse of an iMac - a G5 1.8 20", no web model has a frazzled
> graphics card
>
> The Applestore confirmed the problem, but say that the Imac is now an
> official "vintage" model and that they cannot get a replacment
> graphics card for it
>
> Sooooo - a few questions
>
> How do I find out the precisie graphics card?
>
> Where is a good place to buy one from?
>
> Is it a home repair, or does it require soldering etc?
>
> Many thanks - I want to fix it 'cus I still love it, not have to bin
> it!

This is a known problem. They usually went phut when just out of
warranty. The replacement cards cost as much as the whole computer
is worth.

We've got one upstairs waiting for a new graphics card to turn up,
but it's been a couple of years and it'll probably end up in the
bin.

I presume it could be fixed with a component-level repair costing
a few pence if Apple would only come clean about what the problem
actually is.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
From: Space Wombat #3 on
> > My workhorse of an iMac - a G5 1.8 20", no web model has a frazzled
> > graphics card
>
> > The Applestore confirmed the problem, but say that the Imac is now an
> > official "vintage" model and that they cannot get a replacment
> > graphics card for it
>

> This is a known problem.  They usually went phut when just out of
> warranty.  The replacement cards cost as much as the whole computer
> is worth.
>
> We've got one upstairs waiting for a new graphics card to turn up,
> but it's been a couple of years and it'll probably end up in the
> bin.
>
> I presume it could be fixed with a component-level repair costing
> a few pence if Apple would only come clean about what the problem
> actually is.

Hmmmmmmm if this is the case (I thought I could pick a cheap one up)
it may be the time to make the move to a Sony Vaio laptop - my wife
has one for work and speaks nothing but praise for the build quality.
The G5 iMac has been unrealiable - so far mine has had 2x new power
supplies and now the graphics card dead - my G3 iMac still works
perfectly...!

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 03:51:54 -0700 (PDT), "Space Wombat #3"
<rob_murfin(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>it may be the time to make the move to a Sony Vaio laptop - my wife
>has one for work and speaks nothing but praise for the build quality.

The Viao range is huge, and includes nice, well-made stuff and also
Gateway-style dreggiest shite. Be very ware.

Also, strip off the Windows and install from scratch. The shovelware
they come with is unbelievably irritating to remove.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Jesus died for our sins. Let us not cheapen his
sacrifice by failing to commit any of them."
From: Space Wombat #3 on

> <rob_mur...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >it may be the time to make the move to a Sony Vaio laptop - my wife
> >has one for work and speaks nothing but praise for the build quality.
>
> The Viao range is huge, and includes nice, well-made stuff and also
> Gateway-style dreggiest shite. Be very ware.
>
> Also, strip off the Windows and install from scratch. The shovelware
> they come with is unbelievably irritating to remove.

1. Could I set up the Viao (new MS O/S whatever it is called) so it
could read my OSX 10.5 formatted external USB HD - that has 21 gig of
photos stored on it?

2. Biiiig question - is there anyway of moving my iTune library, play
lists etc to a PC laptop like a vaio? I know that iPods are formatted
diffeerntly for PC or Mac use
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: G5 iMac - value