From: Duncan Kennedy on
I've been following all the discussion (OK much of it asbout iPhone 4
but I've seen some comments about upgrading iPhone 3).

Now that OS4 has been around a bit is there any advice anyone would care
to give a new user about accepting the updater offer to upgrade to OS4?
(My phone is backed up in the default manner to my Mac Mini each time I
plug the one into the other.)

--
duncank
From: Woody on
Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:
> I've been following all the discussion (OK much of it asbout iPhone 4
> but I've seen some comments about upgrading iPhone 3).
>
> Now that OS4 has been around a bit is there any advice anyone would
> care
> to give a new user about accepting the updater offer to upgrade to
> OS4?
> (My phone is backed up in the default manner to my Mac Mini each time
> plug the one into the other.)

I would accept it, but then I have been using 4 since the betas, and
wouldn't want to go back to 3.1

--
Woody
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:21:35 +0100, nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk
(Duncan Kennedy) wrote:

>I've been following all the discussion (OK much of it asbout iPhone 4
>but I've seen some comments about upgrading iPhone 3).
>
>Now that OS4 has been around a bit is there any advice anyone would care
>to give a new user about accepting the updater offer to upgrade to OS4?
>(My phone is backed up in the default manner to my Mac Mini each time I
>plug the one into the other.)

Go for it. Loads of apps are getting refreshes for iOS4, so you might
find yourself stuck with old releases pretty soon.

There doesn't seem to be any downside on the 3GS except for one tiny
thing: getting to the iPod controls on the lockscreen needs a
doubleclick on a woken screen, so click-doubleclick.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If we do not change the direction we are going, we are likely to
end up where we are headed." - anon
From: David Empson on
Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:

> I've been following all the discussion (OK much of it asbout iPhone 4
> but I've seen some comments about upgrading iPhone 3).
>
> Now that OS4 has been around a bit is there any advice anyone would care
> to give a new user about accepting the updater offer to upgrade to OS4?
> (My phone is backed up in the default manner to my Mac Mini each time I
> plug the one into the other.)

Seems to be fine for my 3GS, apart from one minor issue: double-clicking
the home button while the screen is off only wakes up the display (same
as single click). It used to bring up the iPod controls as well. You now
have to click once, wait for the screen to wake up, then double-click.

We're discussing that particular problem in another thread "iOS4: Three
clicks to get to the iPod controls at lockscreen?".

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Duncan Kennedy on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:
>
> > I've been following all the discussion (OK much of it asbout iPhone 4
> > but I've seen some comments about upgrading iPhone 3).
> >
> > Now that OS4 has been around a bit is there any advice anyone would care
> > to give a new user about accepting the updater offer to upgrade to OS4?
> > (My phone is backed up in the default manner to my Mac Mini each time I
> > plug the one into the other.)
>
> Seems to be fine for my 3GS, apart from one minor issue: double-clicking
> the home button while the screen is off only wakes up the display (same
> as single click). It used to bring up the iPod controls as well. You now
> have to click once, wait for the screen to wake up, then double-click.
>
> We're discussing that particular problem in another thread "iOS4: Three
> clicks to get to the iPod controls at lockscreen?".

Thanks everyone - that's good enough for me. (I don't think the 3
clicks problem will be s stopper for me).

--
duncank