From: Björn Persson on
Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> For more than a year I has been using either GNAT Pro or GNAT GPL.
> Recently I installed Fedora and Debian GNAT distributions and discovered
> that basically all two years old bugs known to me are still present. Some
> of these bugs were fixed in GNAT GPL 2009, others in GNAT Pro 6.3.
>
> So my question is: is there any information or summary on the Web about
> how Linux distributions are related to AdaCore releases? Or maybe somebody
> knowledgeable could create and maintain this as a wiki etc.

I don't think Fedora has a written policy or some such for how compilers are
packaged, but as far as I know they take a GCC release from the FSF, add a
few patches related to C, C++ and Java, and compile it with all languages
enabled. I get the impression that GNAT is in Fedora only because it's part
of GCC.

That means that before a bugfix from AdaCore ends up in a Fedora release, it
must first be part of a merge from AdaCore to the FSF's code tree. I've
heard that they merge only to the trunk during development stage 1. Some
time later the FSF makes a release branch from the trunk and refines the
branch into a release. Then the Fedora packagers upgrade the GCC package in
Rawhide, the development repository, to the new release, which again is done
only in an early development stage as it can be a fairly disruptive change.
Later Rawhide is branched, and the branch goes through months of testing and
bug-fixing and eventually becomes the next Fedora release. Naturally this
process takes a long time.

Fedora 13 Beta has GCC 4.4.3. I think we'll probably see GCC 4.5 in Fedora
14, but at the moment Rawhide is at 4.4.4.

--
Bj�rn Persson
PGP key A88682FD
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Thanks for these detailed explanations,

> That means that before a bugfix from AdaCore ends up in a Fedora
> release, it
> must first be part of a merge from AdaCore to the FSF's code tree. I've
> heard that they merge only to the trunk during development stage 1.
What does “Stage 1” stands for exactly ? What happens and what's done on
this Stage 1 ?

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just
not lucky
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Yannick Duchêne writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Thanks for these detailed explanations,
>
>> That means that before a bugfix from AdaCore ends up in a Fedora
>> release, it
>> must first be part of a merge from AdaCore to the FSF's code tree. I've
>> heard that they merge only to the trunk during development stage 1.
> What does “Stage 1” stands for exactly ? What happens and what's done
> on this Stage 1 ?

See http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html

The delay between the end of Stage 1 and the official release of GCC was
typically between 8 and 10 months up to GCC 4.3; for GCC 4.4 and 4.5 the
developers decided to skip Stage 2 entirely and this reduced the delay
to 5 months in GCC 4.4 and 6 months in GCC 4.5.

This delay accounts for part of the delay between a bug fix in GNAT Pro
and the corresponding bug fix in the next GCC release. However, some
bug fixes are backported into the previous release and into Debian, so
they become available as early as practical.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Sun, 09 May 2010 23:44:39 +0100, Simon Wright wrote:

> "Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> writes:
>
>> P.P.S. I wonder why, being an owner of a GNAT Pro license, you need
>> the GPL version ? You will get just less with the GPL version.
>
> I expect that very few private individuals have a GNAT Pro support
> contract!

Yes.

As for me, I have GNAT Pro at work. The things I do privately I check
against GNAT Pro. When I publish them I try to find a workaround in the GPL
version.

I do not report bugs from my private work to AdaCore, unless they also
appear in the software our company develops. However there is a fair
overlap, i.e. when AdaCore fixes one, that also fixes another. As I can
judge GNAT Pro 6.3.x is pretty good by now.

> When developing open-source software, I wouldn't want to say to
> potential users such as yourself "my library works fine with GNAT Pro,
> too bad it doesn't work with GNAT GPL".

Exactly.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Sun, 09 May 2010 23:28:26 +0200, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) wrote:

> I was to report some bugs as well about GNAT (there was some about
> protected types, that's why your words make me though about it, however,
> there some others as well), and gave up to send bug reports when I've
> learned from people using the Pro version those bugs were already fixed
> for long.
>
> Yes, it seems obvious the differences between GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL are
> not only a matter of support (or lack of support) or of license
> (commercial application allowed vs disallowed) : it seems these are two
> different compilers.

I don't think so. GPL looks like an outdated Pro. The real problem is that
FSF is a "very outdated Pro," back to the times when GNAT was quite
unstable (judging on the code I am writing).

Maybe FSF will gain in 1-2 years, but then Ada 2012 will appear, breaking
it again.

Lack of a stable free compiler is a serious problem for Ada.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov