From: astraweb on
Hello,

I'm writing an application (C++) which connects to a specialized server
through the GPRS Network. I use a GPRS modem for which I have no driver (the
manufacturer didn't publish any). I use Windows ras capability to connect to
the server, and that's fine. The server can send some orders to my
application using GPRS or SMS. This is why I also need to permanently read
the SIM card and check whether I have a SMS message to decode. In fact, my
application receives orders through GPRS or SMS and answer through GPRS.
I know how to connect using rasdial functions. I also know how to read SMS
using direct AT commands. But I can't figure how I can do these two things
at the same time, without hanging the ras connection, which is not possible,
due to delay considerations. When I am connected to the GPRS network, the
serial port is not avalaible anymore, and I can't read SMS.
I think I have to write a driver to split the serial port into 2 virtual
serial ports. One will handle all GPRS communications, and I will read SMS
on the other one. But I have no precise idea on how to do that.
Your contribution will be really appreciated, I'm really lost !

Precision : I use Windows CE 4.2, but I think that the solution will be the
same in W2K.
Many thanks in advance !!

Olivier

From: fat_boy on
Hi, Sounds like you have hardware that has standard UART(S) so the
system drivers can run the card as a modem with the system suupplied
drivers.

You can do AT commands to get SMSs via the modem port but, as you say,
once dial up networking (ras) gets the modem into data mode (does PPP
rather than AT), AT commands are either ignored, or kick the card out
of data mode.

However, you might have more than one UART/ Port on the card. Check in
device manager with 'view devices by connection' set and see what you
have. If you see another COM port alongside the modem port hanging off
the card, try to open that in hyperterminal and send AT commands to it.

From: Olivier on
Thanks for your answer, fat_boy
You described correctly the problem I have, but as there is no driver for
that specific GPRS modem, I only have one com port in the device manager,
which is the physical com port. In fact, your answer gave me this idea : is
there a standard GPRS device driver which will add 2 UARTs / ports where I
only have one physical port ? I'll have a look to that point and I'll let
you know.

Many thanks,
Olivier

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
No drivers for GPRS modems (only INF files). For the software, it is just a
COM port which can accept the AT initialization strings.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

From: Olivier on
Thanks Maxim, but I'm not sure I understand your answer : a lot of GPRS
modem manufacturers publish drivers for their products (Siemens,
Motorola...). I agree there is no need of a driver for GSM modems (they are
just modems). For GPRS, it's not the same : I'll use the modem to connect
the Internet (or a private network) using PPP, and in the same time, allows
the use of SMS or voice calls. That's why I need a driver. The driver allows
the modem to be used in "multiplex mode" : it creates 2 virtual ports, one
is or can be connected to the GPRS network, via a RAS as an example, the
other port is used to send AT commands, to read ad/or send SMS.
I exactly need such a driver, or ideas to write it. Hope my question is
clear enough.
Thanks to anyone who could help.
Olivier