From: Michael Zdarsky on
Hello Henryk,

as I wrote in my first posting, the value for the sealevel is always invalid.
But I don't understand your answer.

If it is invalid, I only get the geoid height?
I thought the geoid height is the sealevel.

Currently I can not access the nmea sentence.
The API doesn't deliver it.

Regards

--
Michael Zdarsky

From: Henryk Birecki on
Sorry I miss-spoke, in my previous message change last "geoid" to
"ellipsoid". GPS outputs two numbers. Height over MSL (according to
standard) and geoid separation which is the difference between MSL and
ellipsoid heights (I never remember the sign without looking up).
Intermediate driver parses NMEA and provides you validity flags and
computes height over ellipsoid. If the geoid separation is missing it
probably interprets "MSL" altitude as height over ellipsoid and
adjusts flags accordingly. Problem with SiRF2 chips was that they
outputted height over ellipsoid instead of MSL whether or not
separation was present.

Cheers,
Henryk

From: Michael Zdarsky on
Hello Henryk,

ok, with this correction your answer makes sense.
I think it is a QualComm chipset because AFAIK
the HTC touch diamond uses QuallComm and thus not a SiRF2 chipset.
Correct?

I already wrote 3 mails to HTC concenting this problem. NO ANSWER since 4
weeks.
So may be other take care before buying this device. The support seems to be
very bad.

But to get back to your answer, if the chip isn't delivering the correct data,
it also doesn't makes sense to get down to the nmea sentence, because it
would be wrong too.
Correct?

Thank you for your help.
Michael

--
Michael Zdarsky

From: Henryk Birecki on
Michael Zdarsky <zdarsky_at_zac_minus_it_dot_de> wrote:

>Hello Henryk,
>
>ok, with this correction your answer makes sense.
>I think it is a QualComm chipset because AFAIK
>the HTC touch diamond uses QuallComm and thus not a SiRF2 chipset.
>Correct?

I have no idea. You may want to check with QuallComm what their chip
set sends out.

>I already wrote 3 mails to HTC concenting this problem. NO ANSWER since 4
>weeks.
>So may be other take care before buying this device. The support seems to be
>very bad.
>
>But to get back to your answer, if the chip isn't delivering the correct data,
>it also doesn't makes sense to get down to the nmea sentence, because it
>would be wrong too.
>Correct?

Yes. My suggestion to look at NMEA was mostly to double check that
nothing else is going wrong.

Cheers,
Henryk