From: Michael Zdarsky on
Hello,

I am using the GPSID from Windows Mobile 6.1 to avoid the nmea data
manually.

The problem is, when I call the GetPosition API I never get the
altitudeWRTSeaLevel.

It is always invalid.
altitudeWRTElipsoid is valid.

Can somebody explait that?

Is that a driver problem?
Or is it a GPS chip problem?

I am using the HTC Touch Diamond mobile phone.

Any hint would be nice.

Thank you
Michael
--
Michael Zdarsky

From: Henryk Birecki on
GPS provides (measures) height over ellipsoid. To transform that to
MSL altitude requires a model of earth surface. Not all devices (at
least the ones I dealt with in the past) have that model. If my memory
serves me right, SiRF II devices did not, but I may be wrong. They
certainly output non-standard NMEA sentences.

Cheers,
Henryk

From: Michael Zdarsky on
Hello Henryk,

thank your for your answer.

AFAIK the HTC device are using QualComm GPS chipsets
and not SiRFs.

Do you know problems with the quallcomm chips?

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Zdarsky

From: Michael Zdarsky on
Hello Henryk,

thank you for your answer.

AFAIK HTC has a QualComm chipset and not a SiRF.

Do you know problems with the QualComm Chipset?

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Zdarsky

From: Henryk Birecki on
Michael Zdarsky <zdarsky_at_zac_minus_it_dot_de> wrote:

>Hello Henryk,
>
>thank your for your answer.
>
>AFAIK the HTC device are using QualComm GPS chipsets
>and not SiRFs.
>
>Do you know problems with the quallcomm chips?

No, I do not know anything about these. You may want to take a look at
the NMEA sentences they output and "dive into" the GPGGA sentence.
Actually the GetPosition API should have a flag for valid geoid
separation value. If that one is also invalid, then probably all you
are getting from the chipset is the height above geoid.

Cheers,
Henryk