From: Turtle on

Hi everyone,

Did I understand that right?

MBR is the standard Partition Table for Windows and only can be used for
the Hard disks WITH Windows on it.

However the GUID Partition Table (GPT) be used ONLY for additional Hard
disks under Windows?

I THINK only MACs and Linux can be installed on a GUID Partition Table
(GPT) System.

I`m curious,
John
From: Carlos on
Turtle:
Windows can't be intalled on a GPT partition:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx
The article is rather old but it still applies.
However, if you have an EFI based system, the answer is yes, you can do it.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx
Carlos

From: Steve Foster on
Turtle wrote:

> Did I understand that right?
>
> MBR is the standard Partition Table for Windows and only can be used
> for the Hard disks WITH Windows on it.

MBR is the most commonly used partitioning scheme. It is not restricted
to Windows.

The biggest drawback of MBR is that it can't handle partitions over 2TB.

This is where GPT comes in. It's the "new boy" and has been designed to
avoid the restrictions of MBR.

> However the GUID Partition Table (GPT) be used ONLY for additional
> Hard disks under Windows?
>
> I THINK only MACs and Linux can be installed on a GUID Partition
> Table (GPT) System.

Nope. Windows can be installed and boot from a GPT disk.

Note that some versions of Windows have limited GPT support (XP Home
and lower).

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: Lynn McGuire on
>> I THINK only MACs and Linux can be installed on a GUID Partition
>> Table (GPT) System.
>
> Nope. Windows can be installed and boot from a GPT disk.

GPT booting requires any x64 version of Windows Vista or 7.

Lynn
From: Steve Foster on
Lynn McGuire wrote:

> > > I THINK only MACs and Linux can be installed on a GUID Partition
> > > Table (GPT) System.
> >
> > Nope. Windows can be installed and boot from a GPT disk.
>
> GPT booting requires any x64 version of Windows Vista or 7.

x64 is not required.

I thought I'd typed in the caveat, but that hasn't shown up, so I must
have managed to send the post without it.

The caveat for booting from GPT is that the PC must be EFI-based.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
https://netshop.virtual-isp.net
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: 64bit on top