From: ImEmmittSmith on

I ran into this same problem with having a 32 bit application that
needed to run on a x64 Server. I unregistered the database from the x64
ODBC and then registered the database using the x86 ODBC driver. Does
anyone know if there would be a degration of performance when others
connect to the server and the server is now using the x86 ODBC driver
over the x64 ODBC driver? Wonder why MS did not name it odbcad64.exe?
Sure would have made using ODBC for x86 and X64 applications more
understandable!

Thanks so much!!

ImEmmittSmith
ImEmmittSmith's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/253613.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/698703.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: einstein_007 on

One of the performance benefits of the x64 platform is that it increases
virtual address space, making more memory available. We recommend that
you configure IIS to use a 32-bit worker processes on 64-bit Windows.
Not only its compatibility better than the native 64-bit, performance
and memory consumption are also better.

Set the Web server to enable this globally so that you do not need to
set it for each application pool. Unlike previous versions of IIS, you
can now configure specific worker processes to run in 32-bit or 64-bit
mode independently of each other on the same server.

To configure 32-bit mode for the server

�Open a command prompt and run the following:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd set config -section:applicationPools
-applicationPoolDefaults.enable32BitAppOnWin64:true
Note: This setting applies only to 64-bit servers.

To configure 32-bit mode for the server using the IIS PowerShell
Provider

�Open a PowerShell prompt and run the following:
set-itemproperty iis:\ -name
applicationPoolDefaults.enable32BitAppOnWin64 -value true

--
einstein_007
einstein_007's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/37181.htm

From: Steve Foster on
ImEmmittSmith wrote:

> Does anyone know if there would be a degration of performance when
> others connect to the server and the server is now using the x86 ODBC
> driver over the x64 ODBC driver?

No, there wouldn't be (indeed, it's arguably a massive improvement,
since the x64 ODBC driver doesn't work!).

> Wonder why MS did not name it
> odbcad64.exe? Sure would have made using ODBC for x86 and X64
> applications more understandable!

For compatibility. Applications looking to invoke the ODBC
administrator all start "odbcad32.exe", and that's true whether they're
x64 or x32.

What would have been helpful is putting both versions in Administrative
Tools, clearly labelled.

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: ImEmmittSmith on

Hey Einstein_007,
thanks for the reply and that sounds like a great option, but different
than what I was trying to determine or I may not be totally
understanding your suggestion. What I was talking specificially about
was the X86 vs X64 ODBC drivers themselves. Since I unregistered the
database from the X64 ODBC driver and registered it using the X86, what
type of performance concerns should I be aware of, if any. We just
moved to a Windows 2008 Server X64 to enable DB2 UDB 9.5 to utilize
more memory, which was a HUGE constraint under Windows 2003 X86.

Thanks,
Don

From: ImEmmittSmith on

Steve,
I echo you sentiment, they should have put both in Admin Tools and
labeled them as such. I spoke with one of the lead network admins where
I work and he said there would be no issues using the X86 ODBC.

Thanks for everyone's help in clarifying this issue.