From: Roland on
Dear all,

I'm trying to find some decent reading pointers about GPU architecture
and was very happy when I realized new P/H: Computer organization and
design (4th ed) has a chapter on GPUs. I managed to get an e-inspection
copy from Elsevier, but can't seem to get the companion CD chapters
through the website so I can't get to the further reading list. So, I
would be very grateful if someone with the 4th ed book could c/p that
list and for any additional pointers for GPU (micro)architecture
books/papers.

Thanks,

- R.
From: wolfwaresix on
Hey Roland,

That's a great question. been looking for references myself. let me
know when you do!

-W

From: Roland on
Hi wolfwaresix,

no luck on P/H references so far, but this is what I've found on the
side (various things, I haven't gotten through all of them yet but there
are a few that seem really good):

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~crawfis/cse786/ReferenceMaterial/CourseNotes/Modern%20GPU%20Architecture.ppt
http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee382a/
http://s09.idav.ucdavis.edu/talks/02_kayvonf_gpuArchTalk09.pdf
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~suvenkat/700/
http://sites.google.com/site/5kk70gpu/materials
http://s08.idav.ucdavis.edu/luebke-nvidia-gpu-architecture.pdf

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~aamodt/papers/wwlfung.micro2007.pdf
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~aamodt/papers/gpgpusim.ispass09.pdf
(http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t100074.html)

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/lanterma/mpg/

http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/Intermediate_Language_Specification--Stream_Processor.pdf

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=_jKoAAAAEBAJ
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=nsc0AAAAEBAJ
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/37/47/15/PDF/stats_on_instruction.pdf

And if anyone else has anything useful, plz share!

Cheers,

- R.

From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
On 3/27/2010 12:23 PM, Roland wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to find some decent reading pointers about GPU architecture
> and was very happy when I realized new P/H: Computer organization and
> design (4th ed) has a chapter on GPUs. I managed to get an e-inspection
> copy from Elsevier, but can't seem to get the companion CD chapters
> through the website so I can't get to the further reading list. So, I
> would be very grateful if someone with the 4th ed book could c/p that
> list and for any additional pointers for GPU (micro)architecture
> books/papers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - R.

As I was learning about GPUs in the last few years (culminating in my own little contribution, a presentation at
Berkeley, http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5qTWL2s3LcQNGE3NWI4NzQtNTBhNS00YjgyLTljZGMtNTA0YjJmMGIzNDEw&hl=en
)

I mainly read hardware manuals from AMD and Nvidia (and Intel)

AMD/ATI in particular have made many manuals available:

(Hmm, I just found http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/R6xx_R7xx_3D.pdf, overall www.x.org/docs' repository of several GPU manuals
by vendor. In particular, I never saw http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/R6xx_R7xx_3D.pdf before.)

developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/r600isa.pdf

there are similar manuals at AMD's website for
a) R5xx
b) R700 (R770?)
c) Evergreen (would have been the R800?)

but I don't have URLs off the top of my head.

==

At Nvidia - well, I started off learning about Nvidia, so URLs are less accessible. The Fermi papers may be a good start.

==

Y'know, I don't know public docs for Intel.
From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
On 3/30/2010 7:26 PM, Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> On 3/27/2010 12:23 PM, Roland wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to find some decent reading pointers about GPU architecture

> I mainly read hardware manuals from AMD and Nvidia (and Intel)

> (Hmm, I just found http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/R6xx_R7xx_3D.pdf, overall
> www.x.org/docs' repository of several GPU manuals by vendor. In
> particular, I never saw http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/R6xx_R7xx_3D.pdf before.)

Wow! www.x.org/docs/{AMD,intel,via} is the best collection of GPU docs I have seen together in one place at one time.

Which I guess makes sense. X, eh?

In particular, it has Intel Gen4 docs.

The AMD docs are good, but you will need the shader ISA docs I mentioned in my last post.

Sweet!

I just wish I had known about this site last year before I went to Berkeley to present.