From: George Neuner on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:45:31 -0700 (PDT), "Alexei A. Frounze"
<alexfrunews(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 25, 12:54�pm, Rugxulo <rugx...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 25, 1:15�am, "Alexei A. Frounze" <alexfrun...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Now, new non-system instructions that don't come in with new CPU
>> > registers or special state structures (e.g. MMX/XMM regs, MXCSR)
>> > should work equally well under either system. Think of POPCNT, for
>> > example. It works with the same general purpose regs and as long it's
>> > supported by the CPU (check with CPUID), you can use it.
>>
>> Be sure to also check if CPUID is supported before using it! � ;-)
>
>Must be on all Pentium class CPUs.

No. The 486SL mobile processor and DX4 had CPUID. DX4 is still
available in commercial quantities ... don't know what it's used for
though.

>>Anyone still has 80486? :)

Yeah, I've still got an old 66MHz DX2 laptop. It has really good (for
the time) S3 accelerated VGA and it runs Linux/xfce acceptably for
light word processing or browsing sans Flash.

[Of course Flash graphics and video are still hit or miss - mainly
miss - on my 1GHz Pentium III laptop. (Yeah, I need a new laptop ...
I spent on my desktop instead.) I have no idea how Adobe can possibly
claim Flash works on a 450MHz Pentium II.]

George
From: David Kerber on
In article <l7lsq5hi1mvqt4u4ipscb21tre9ebg31l4(a)4ax.com>, gneuner2
@comcast.net says...

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:45:31 -0700 (PDT), "Alexei A. Frounze"
> <alexfrunews(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Be sure to also check if CPUID is supported before using it! � ;-)
> >
> >Must be on all Pentium class CPUs.
>
> No. The 486SL mobile processor and DX4 had CPUID. DX4 is still
> available in commercial quantities ... don't know what it's used for
> though.

Specialized industrial control and data collection, mainly.