From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/06/10 12:22, ant wrote:
> I get the strong feeling that nobody is really happy with the state of
> Python GUIs.
> Tkinter is not widely liked, but is widely distributed. WxPython and
> PyGtk are both
> powerful, but quirky in different ways. PyQt is tied to one platform.
> And there are
> dozens more.
>
> Whether or not we like graphics programming, it's not going to go
> away. I get the
> uneasy feeling whenever I start a new project that there should be a
> 'better' GUI
> than the ones I currently use (WxPython and PyGtk).
>
> Fragmentation is our enemy. Our resources are being dissipated. Is it
> not time to
> start again? We have shown that it is possible to do the right thing,
> by creating Python3.
>
> I ask the group; should we try to create a new GUI for Python, with
> the following
> properties?:
>
> - Pythonic
> - The default GUI (so it replaces Tkinter)
> - It has the support of the majority of the Python community
> - Simple and obvious to use for simple things
> - Comprehensive, for complicated things
> - Cross-platform
> - Looks good (to be defined)
> - As small as possible in its default form
>
> If so, what are the next steps?
>
> The Python SIG on GUIs closed years ago. Should that be revived?
>
> This is "A Modest Proposal" (J. Swift). In a sense, I am suggesting
> that
> we eat our own babies.
>
> But don't we owe it to the community?

Pick any two:
- Simple
- Beautiful
- Cross-platform
From: Stef Mientki on
Aren't all programms going webbased in the near future ?
And if so, wouldn't it be better to hook to GWT or something like that
(I can't oversee all the conesquences)?
cheers,
Stef Mientki

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:42:30 +0200, Stef Mientki wrote:

> Aren't all programms going webbased in the near future ?

Yes, just wait until somebody builds a web-browser that runs in your web-
browser!

--
Steven
From: Petite Abeille on

On Jun 6, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Yes, just wait until somebody builds a web-browser that runs in your web-
> browser!

There you go:

"A good browser should be able to reproduce itself. Safari 4, built entirely with valid HTML5 and CSS3."

http://general-metrics.com/Safari/

From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/06/10 22:09, Petite Abeille wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> Yes, just wait until somebody builds a web-browser that runs in your web-
>> browser!
>
> There you go:
>
> "A good browser should be able to reproduce itself. Safari 4, built entirely with valid HTML5 and CSS3."

Can't wait to see "Download Firefox for Chrome OS"