From: Stephen Leake on
Michael Bode <m.g.bode(a)web.de> writes:

> Fionn Mac Cumhaill <invisible(a)hiding.from.spam> writes:
>
>> Is anybody besides me using GWindows to create Windows applications?
>> My last requests for assistance from the members of the GWindows
>> mailing list produced no responses
>
> And BTW is anybody working on a Linux port?

I certainly hope not.

The original rational for GWindows was to be a rational Ada binding to
the Microsoft Windows API.

Changing that to some other OS/GUI combination would be just wrong.

Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?

--
-- Stephe
From: Jeffrey Creem on
Stephen Leake wrote:
> Michael Bode <m.g.bode(a)web.de> writes:
>

>>Fionn Mac Cumhaill <invisible(a)hiding.from.spam> writes:
>>

>>>Is anybody besides me using GWindows to create Windows applications?
>>>My last requests for assistance from the members of the GWindows
>>>mailing list produced no responses
>>
>>And BTW is anybody working on a Linux port?
>

> I certainly hope not.
>
> The original rational for GWindows was to be a rational Ada binding to
> the Microsoft Windows API.

David Botton had been looking into if Gwindows would work well when
linked to winelib under Linux.
From: Fionn Mac Cumhaill on
On 8 Nov 2006 13:22:00 -0800, "Stephen"
<mcneills(a)landcareresearch.co.nz> wrote:

>Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:
>> Is anybody besides me using GWindows to create Windows applications?
>
>Yes.
>
>> My last requests for assistance from the members of the GWindows
>> mailing list produced no responses
>
>I don't recall seeing a message from you. The last message I have from
>that mailing list was 30 August. Perhaps I missed it. With such a small
>group, it can take time for messages to be noted and addressed.
>
>Stephen

The August message titled "Can't get an on_focus/on_lost_focus to work
for buttons" was from me (I use a pseudonym in cla in order to avoid
spammers)
From: Michael Bode on
Stephen Leake <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> writes:

> The original rational for GWindows was to be a rational Ada binding to
> the Microsoft Windows API.
>
> Changing that to some other OS/GUI combination would be just wrong.

But not making the GUI lib portable makes it useless for projects
targeting more than just Windows. One of the advantages of Java is
its portable GUI toolkit(s).

GNAVI is using GWindows and it says:
(http://www.gnavi.org/index.php?Command=Index&Title=Home)

GNAVI is the open source alternative to visual software development
languages like Delphi and Visual Basic. In addition to just being
fully Open Source under the GPL, the language foundation of GNAVI,
unlike Pascal or Basic of its competition, is the international
standard of engineering, Ada. GNAVI for Windows offers comparable
features to Delphi and Visual Basic including use of Active X
controls and the ability to interface with .NET and Java. GNAVI is
also currently being ported to Mac OS X and Linux/UNIX

But it seems there is not much development going on for the ports.

> Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?

Probably GTK+, because that's what I know from GtkAda :-). More
important it is widely used and plain C, which may make it easier to
bind to than something written in C++. But if there is a better choice
I wouldn't object.

--
Michael Bode
From: Stephen on

Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:

> The August message titled "Can't get an on_focus/on_lost_focus to work
> for buttons" was from me (I use a pseudonym in cla in order to avoid
> spammers)

Ok, got it. I don't have an immediate answer. But as it happens I have
a job to do with GWindows at the moment, so I'll see if I strike the
same problem. No promises on a solution.

Stephen