From: Stephen on

Fionn Mac Cumhaill wrote:

> The August message titled "Can't get an on_focus/on_lost_focus to work
> for buttons" was from me (I use a pseudonym in cla in order to avoid
> spammers)

Ok, got it. I don't have an immediate answer. But as it happens I have
a job to do with GWindows at the moment, so I'll see if I strike the
same problem. No promises on a solution.

Stephen

From: Yves Bailly on
Michael Bode wrote:
>> Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?
>
> Probably GTK+, because that's what I know from GtkAda :-). More
> important it is widely used and plain C, which may make it easier to
> bind to than something written in C++. But if there is a better choice
> I wouldn't object.

Maybe off-topic from the initial question, but just for your information,
an effort is currently made to create a binding to Qt. Yes, it's C++,
so it's much more difficult to achieve. No, it's not yet ready to be used,
and as long as I'm the only developer it won't be finished any time soon.
But I've already manage to re-create in pure Ada the 7 first tutorials,
the 8th should be done, well, next week I hope.
Side note, it compiles and runs on both Linux and Windows (using MinGW).
Other platforms are yet to be tested though.
If you're interested : http://qt4ada.sourceforge.net

Regards,

--
(o< | Yves Bailly : http://kafka-fr.net | -o)
//\ | Linux Dijon : http://www.coagul.org | //\
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 19:02:31 +0100, Michael Bode wrote:

>> Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?
>
> Probably GTK+, because that's what I know from GtkAda :-). More
> important it is widely used and plain C, which may make it easier to
> bind to than something written in C++. But if there is a better choice
> I wouldn't object.

Though GTK+ performs quite poorly on Windows platform. And overall, when
its documentation tells you that you fundamentally cannot save and restore
the position of a window, what could you say?

In my opinion it must be 100% Ada. I don't believe in C.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Stephen Leake on
Michael Bode <m.g.bode(a)web.de> writes:

> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> writes:
>
>> The original rational for GWindows was to be a rational Ada binding to
>> the Microsoft Windows API.
>>
>> Changing that to some other OS/GUI combination would be just wrong.
>
> But not making the GUI lib portable makes it useless for projects
> targeting more than just Windows.

Obviously.

So if you require portability across platforms, don't use GWindows.

On the other hand, making the GUI lib portable means using only those
features common to all of the targeted platforms.

So if you want your application to be able to take full advantage of
the Win32 API, use GWindows.

>> Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?
>
> Probably GTK+, because that's what I know from GtkAda :-).

So use GtkAda on Windows as well.

--
-- Stephe
From: Alex R. Mosteo on
Yves Bailly wrote:

> Michael Bode wrote:
>>> Which windowing API do you want on Gnu/Linux?
>>
>> Probably GTK+, because that's what I know from GtkAda :-). More
>> important it is widely used and plain C, which may make it easier to
>> bind to than something written in C++. But if there is a better choice
>> I wouldn't object.
>
> Maybe off-topic from the initial question, but just for your information,
> an effort is currently made to create a binding to Qt. Yes, it's C++,
> so it's much more difficult to achieve. No, it's not yet ready to be used,
> and as long as I'm the only developer it won't be finished any time soon.
> But I've already manage to re-create in pure Ada the 7 first tutorials,
> the 8th should be done, well, next week I hope.
> Side note, it compiles and runs on both Linux and Windows (using MinGW).
> Other platforms are yet to be tested though.
> If you're interested : http://qt4ada.sourceforge.net

Are you aware of this qtada binding:

http://freehost07.websamba.com/guibuilder/

I downloaded it but the zero docs prevented me of trying it. It is in my
todo list for spare time. I find GtkAda extremely unpleasant to work with,
and I remember from early times that Qt programming in c++ was very
straightforward. In any case I like much better the looks of Qt apps over
Gtk+ ones. Or at least kde over gnome ones (yikes... not trying to start a
fw here!).

In any case keep us informed of your progress.