From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Actually the notion is about those sets as physical objects. The way I
consider that the powerset of objects increases ad infinitum is to
consider _functions_ between physical objects as physical objects.
Consider for example some finite group of points, and the functions
between them, identifiable in assignment, in context, as the Cartesian
product of those points. Basically the set of functions from a set to
itself is said to have a higher cardinality than the set. So with
finitely many particles, the functions between those are objects, and
the functions between those are objects, ad infinitum, so there are
infinitely many objects. Then, functions between those are objects,
and those were just all the objects, so the universe illustrates a
counterexample to the powerset result.

Otherwise people claim something along the lines of 2^120 particles in
the universe. Is there a field between each pair of those particles,
or is there only one gravitational, or electromagnetic field for the
entire universe? The particles have various properties, momentum and
location, for example. Is not each motion vector an object? How about
each point where particles may ever interact? Is not each massy
particle interacting at each possible point in space, in however a
miniscule way?

Where there were 2^80 particles yesterday and 2^50 before that, and
presumably more than 2^120 at some point in the forseeable future,
where there are more bits of man-made electronic storage than there
were presumed to be particles in the entire universe some time ago,
there are more particles found in the universe as knowledge about it
increases.

A variety of modern and classical cosmologists have or had the
perspective that the universe is infinite. In quantum chromodynamics
technicolor there is no smallest particle. Somewhat more sharply, the
more closely more mundane particles like atoms are measured, the
smaller they appear to be, more precisely in measurement, but smaller.
Experimental evidence points to there being no smallest size of those
atoms, which seems to contradict that they have some fixed mass. It's
relative, in a way.

So the universe is bigger, it's infinite, and the particles are
smaller, they're infinitesimal, and there are infinitely many of them
in the universe. Where each set of interactions of physical objects is
a physical object, and where all of them is _the_ universe, then that
would contradict direct results of ZF that a) there is no universe and
b) the powerset result.

Consider something along the lines of a notion of a "Theory of
Everything", where the universe represents itself. Does the universe
exist? Then, that the universe exists is the theory of everything.
What if it didn't? Then it would, it does, E, existence, you can't
disprove existence, and anything proves it, even nothing.

Then, if there's a T.o.E, and we can do arithmetic, where any true
(completely specified) statement is true throughout the entire
universe, then incompleteness doesn't happen either.

Ross

From: MoeBlee on
Six wrote:
> I do still strongly
> suspect that you are underestimating the paradox.

Maybe.

MoeBlee

From: MoeBlee on
MoeBlee wrote:
> Six wrote:
> > I do still strongly
> > suspect that you are underestimating the paradox.
>
> Maybe.
>
> MoeBlee

P.S. I think not so much underestimating, but rather that I find that
there are other conundrums or at least baffling questions that are, at
least in the context of my own studies and ruminations, more pressing
or immediate.