From: Six on

GALILEO'S PARADOX

1 2 3 4 5 .................
1 4 9 16 25 ...............

There is a paradox because the 1:1 Correspondence suggests the sets
are equal in size, by extension from the finite case, and yet clearly the
second set is contained in the first set. That an infinite set can be put
into 1:1 C with a proper subset is not by itself paradoxical. That is only
the beginning, the facts of the case. The paradox is that the squares seem
to be both smaller than N and the same size as N.

I want to suggest there are only two sensible ways to resolve the
paradox:

1) So- called denumerable sets may be of different size.

2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
infinite is just infinite.

My line of thought is that the 1:1C is a sacred cow. That there is
no extension from the finite case.

If we want to compare the two sets for size we would write, not the
above, but:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...............
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9................
^ ^ ^

(The intention here is to highlight the squares in the second row of
integers.)

Then we would notice that the relative size of the squares set
becomes ever smaller as n increases, that increasingly large numbers of
integers are missed out. In fact, if we wanted to find a plausible
candidate for a set eual in size to N, then we would choose not the
squares, but the non-squares.

The contrived nature of the 1:1C becomes more obvious when we
compare with N, sets that appear to be larger than N. The clearest example
is Z.

We have:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .........
1 -1 2 -2 3 -3 4 .........

which is mildly clever, but again if we wanted to compare the two sets for
size we would write:

0 1 2 3 4....
....-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4....

with a perfect 1:2 Correspondence.

Here one would like to say, since not only is there 1:1C between Z
and a proper subset, but an identity (1 2 3 4 ......), that however you
define infinity there has got to be more in Z than in N. Not, of course, if
you make all countable sets equal in size by definition. But for me, that
doesn't relieve the paradox at all. On the contrary it builds it into the
foundation of the mathematics.
I would like to suggest that the existence of 1:1C between the two
sets is a CONSEQUENCE of the fact that they are both infinite. The
infinities are what gives one room to manoeuvre, to manufacture a 1:1C. It
has no bearing on their relative size.

Can one make sense of Z = 2N, of Q = N^2, etc.? (Incidentally the
number of squares would be sq.rt. of N, since after n^2 integers there are
n squares.) Maybe it's complete rubbish, but my argument is that the
alternative is the ineffable infinity. If it does make sense, there is no
place for a diagonal argument, or a power set argument, since it would
already be conceded that 10^N > N, that 2^N > N, or in general that k^N >
N, just as Z > N and Q > N.

There remains of course Cantor's proof that R cannot be put into a
1:1C with N, which is very interesting. But what does it mean?
Maybe something like this:

So-called denumerable sets can be represented on a
finite-dimensional lattice, so that a self-avoiding walk can be shown to
systematically cover the entire line, are, volume or hyper-volume. For R
understood as a set of decimals (to choose that -- perfectly good --
representation), by contrast, every decimal place can be construed as an
axis.

In any case what I don't understand is how this affects the simple
paradox with which we began.
However, it may very well be that my insufficiently tutored brain
has flown its coop again, in which case I would be very grateful for any
illumination.

Six Letters 24/11/06

From: Peter van Liesdonk on
> 2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
> is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
> infinite is just infinite.

This is exactly the case. All infinite sets have the same size:
infinite. Actually, talking about size is a bit vague in this case.

You give the example:
1 2 3 4 5
1 4 9 16 25
It is obvious that in this finite example (N=5), the second row is not
contained in the first one. The same is true for every finite N, no
matter how large. It is only when N actually is infinity that the
second row is contained in the first. Because

Philosophize about these questions to get an understanding:
* If you have two sets of infinite size, is the union of these sets
than larger than infinity? What would larger than infinity mean?
* If you have an infinite size set and you remove a finite amount of
elements, how large will the result be?

Regards,
Peter

From: Richard Tobin on
In article <1164369693.301566.8460(a)l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com>,
Peter van Liesdonk <peter(a)liesdonk.nl> wrote:

>> 2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
>> is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
>> infinite is just infinite.

>This is exactly the case. All infinite sets have the same size:
>infinite. Actually, talking about size is a bit vague in this case.

We don't usually go as far as that. Not all infinite sets are the
same size; there are different infinite sizes. But some infinite sets
that you might like to have different sizes don't.

This is because - as I think the original poster realises - there just
isn't a consistent extension of size to infinite sets that satisfies
all our intuitions about size. If you want to have both

(a) sets in 1-1 correspondence are the same size
and
(b) proper subsets are smaller than their supersets

you just can't do it, because (as the squares example demonstrates)
you can put infinite sets into 1-1 correspondence with certain of
their proper subsets.

On the other hand, we don't have to throw everything out. It's not
always the case that an infinite set can be put into 1-1
correspondence with a particular proper subset, as Cantor showed. It
turns out that we can have a number of different infinite sizes
without running into contradiction.

>* If you have two sets of infinite size, is the union of these sets
>than larger than infinity? What would larger than infinity mean?

That this is not a stumbling block should be clear of you replace
"infinite" with "big". The union of two big sets can be bigger than
either of the original big sets. Like "big", "infinity" is not a
number; it's a description of certain numbers.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
From: Bob Kolker on
Six Letters wrote:

> I want to suggest there are only two sensible ways to resolve the
> paradox:
>
> 1) So- called denumerable sets may be of different size.

Same size (i.e. same cardinality) means there is a one to one
correspondence between the sets. That is the definition of "same size".

> 2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
> is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
> infinite is just infinite.

False. Where a correspondence can be established it makes perfectly good
sense.

> My line of thought is that the 1:1C is a sacred cow. That there is
> no extension from the finite case.

Dead wrong. You have been wrong for over a hundred years.

Bob Kolker
From: Six on
On 24 Nov 2006 04:01:33 -0800, "Peter van Liesdonk" <peter(a)liesdonk.nl>
wrote:

>> 2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
>> is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
>> infinite is just infinite.
>
>This is exactly the case. All infinite sets have the same size:
>infinite. Actually, talking about size is a bit vague in this case.
>
>You give the example:
>1 2 3 4 5
>1 4 9 16 25

Actually this was meant as 2 infinite sequences, but it doesn't affect your
point.

>It is obvious that in this finite example (N=5), the second row is not
>contained in the first one. The same is true for every finite N, no
>matter how large. It is only when N actually is infinity that the
>second row is contained in the first. Because

This is an interesting way of putting it, but I am not convinced it does
more than re-state the paradox.

>Philosophize about these questions to get an understanding:
>* If you have two sets of infinite size, is the union of these sets
>than larger than infinity? What would larger than infinity mean?

The short anwer is that maybe you can have two infinite sets, one larger
than the other. I mean for denumerable sets, but as Tobin points out this
is already accepted for sets in general because of Cantor's proofs.

>* If you have an infinite size set and you remove a finite amount of
>elements, how large will the result be?

At a guess, the size will be unaffected.

>Regards,
>Peter

Thankyou, Six Letters.