From: Virgil on
In article <456AB50B.3090901(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> >> Do you mean somebody here is not familiar with all of your wise utterances?
> >
> > EB seems to remain ignorant of them, however often and by whomever they
> > are repeated.
>
> Cantorians equate "same quality to never end" with "same size".

That EB should say so dislays clearly his ignorance.
From: Virgil on
In article <456AC3DE.8070809(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> My father told me the story of a little poor boy who in the twenties of
> last century bought mixed sweets. The salesman gave him a red one and a
> green one and said: Do mix them yourself.
>
> Having some evidence that the green sweet means countable and red one
> uncountable, I can not even know that red is lager than green or vice
> versa.
>
> Eckard Blumschein

So EB is even poorer than that little boy.
From: Virgil on
In article <456AEF1F.9010400(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> There is only one ideal concept of actual infinity.
> Spinoza was possibly the first one who clearly understood that infinity
> cannot be enlarged. If it cannot be enlarged, it can also not be exhausted.
> This concept is very useful in engineering.

But not in mathematics.
From: Virgil on
In article <456AF47F.5030908(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/26/2006 9:24 PM, Six wrote:

> > It seemed
> > to me that accepted practice and the resultant prejudice is all the other
> > alternative has to recommend it. Perhaps, though, accepted practice should
> > not, in the end, be despised.
>
> Why not if it is unfounded?

Those who declare it should be despised have no better foundings for
their claims.

> > If the result is some wonderful mathematics,
> > and the alternative is a dead end.
>
> Neither nor, on the contrary: Set theory did not create progress.

> There is not even a single application for
> aleph_2.

If EB has to have a profit, pray give him a penny and send him on his
way.
From: Virgil on
In article <456AF6F8.5020307(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/27/2006 3:21 AM, stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
>
> > There is no need to resolve the paradox. There exists a
> > one-to-correspondence between the natural numbers and the
> > perfect squares. The perfect squares are also a proper
> > subset of the natural numbers. This is not a contradiction.
>
> What is better? Being simply correct as was Galilei or being more than
> wrong? (Ueberfalsch)

Galileo was both right and wrong. He applied two standards to one
question and was confused when they gave different answers.