From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Six Letters writes:

>>The one-to-one correspondence idea is nice because it works for any
>>two sets. The idea you are looking at only works if one set
>>is a subset of the other.
>
> Yes, to set up the paradox we need to compare two sets for
> which there is a 1:1C and one is a subset of the other. It isn't a
> question of what works. It's a question of how the paradox is to be
> resolved.

But the resolution needs to also discuss set sizes for non-comparable
sets. Otherwise, it's a pretty dull notion of set size. We already
have the subset operation.

--
Jesse F. Hughes

"I want to really eat myself, so then I'll be a coalgebra."
-- Quincy P. Hughes, Age 3 1/2
From: stephen on
Six wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:26:37 +0000 (UTC), stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>>Six wrote:

>>> I love this quaint, homely picture of the origin of arithmetic. I
>>> am sure that evolutionary arithmetic will soon be taught in universities,
>>> if it is not already. Disregarding the anthropology, however, you have said
>>> absolutely nothing about whether !:!C is adequate for the infinite case.
>>
>>I was addressing your claim that there was "no extension from the
>>finite case". In the finite case, two sets have the same number
>>of elements if and only if there exists a one to one correspondence
>>between them. This very simple idea has been extended to the
>>infinite case.

> OK. The idea of a 1:1 corresondence is indeed a simple idea. The idea of
> infinity is not.

That depends on what 'idea of infinity' of you are talking about.
The mathematical definition of 'infinite' is as simple as the
idea of a 1:1 correspondence. There is no point in dragging
philosophical baggage into a mathematical discussion.

>>> It's just the awkwardness of plain text. The members of the sqaures
>>> set are meant to be circled, if you like, the missing intergers being
>>> supplied for comparison.
>>
>>But why should you bother listing the missing integers? If you
>>are comparing two sets, including elements that are not in one
>>of the sets in the comparision seems strange to me. If
>>I am comparing the sets {Bob, Dave, George} and {Eileen, Barb, Jill}
>>should I write out
>>
>> Adam, Bob, Chuck, Dave, Edgar, Fred, George, Hank, Igor, Jack
>> ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^
if you insist it matches some vague unspecified notion of "same size".
It may seem unintuitive,

>> ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^
>>
>>?? How do I know what the missing elements are?
>>
>>The one-to-one correspondence idea is nice because it works for any
>>two sets. The idea you are looking at only works if one set
>>is a subset of the other.

> Yes, to set up the paradox we need to compare two sets for which
> there is a 1:1C and one is a subset of the other. It isn't a question of
> what works. It's a question of how the paradox is to be resolved.

> Thanks, Six Letters

There is no need to resolve the paradox. There exists a
one-to-correspondence between the natural numbers and the
perfect squares. The perfect squares are also a proper
subset of the natural numbers. This is not a contradiction.

Stephen

From: Virgil on
In article <ekdi3d$i15$1(a)news.msu.edu>, stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

> Six wrote:

> >>I was addressing your claim that there was "no extension from the
> >>finite case". In the finite case, two sets have the same number
> >>of elements if and only if there exists a one to one correspondence
> >>between them. This very simple idea has been extended to the
> >>infinite case.
>
> > OK. The idea of a 1:1 corresondence is indeed a simple idea. The idea of
> > infinity is not.
>
> That depends on what 'idea of infinity' of you are talking about.
> The mathematical definition of 'infinite' is as simple as the
> idea of a 1:1 correspondence. There is no point in dragging
> philosophical baggage into a mathematical discussion.

> >>But why should you bother listing the missing integers? If you
> >>are comparing two sets, including elements that are not in one
> >>of the sets in the comparision seems strange to me. If
> >>I am comparing the sets {Bob, Dave, George} and {Eileen, Barb, Jill}
> >>should I write out
> >>
> >> Adam, Bob, Chuck, Dave, Edgar, Fred, George, Hank, Igor, Jack
> >> ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^
> if you insist it matches some vague unspecified notion of "same size".
> It may seem unintuitive,
> >>
> >> ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^
> >>
> >>?? How do I know what the missing elements are?
> >>
> >>The one-to-one correspondence idea is nice because it works for any
> >>two sets. The idea you are looking at only works if one set
> >>is a subset of the other.
>
> > Yes, to set up the paradox we need to compare two sets for which
> > there is a 1:1C and one is a subset of the other. It isn't a question of
> > what works. It's a question of how the paradox is to be resolved.
>
> > Thanks, Six Letters
>
> There is no need to resolve the paradox. There exists a
> one-to-correspondence between the natural numbers and the
> perfect squares. The perfect squares are also a proper
> subset of the natural numbers. This is not a contradiction.
>
> Stephen

There is, in fact, a definition of infiniteness of sets (by Dedekind)
which REQUIRES the bijection of the set with a proper subset of itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedekind_infinite
From: Ross A. Finlayson on
Bob Kolker wrote:
> Six Letters wrote:
>

> > I want to suggest there are only two sensible ways to resolve the
> > paradox:
> >
> > 1) So- called denumerable sets may be of different size.
>
> Same size (i.e. same cardinality) means there is a one to one
> correspondence between the sets. That is the definition of "same size".
>

> > 2) It makes no sense to compare infinite sets for size, neither to say one
> > is bigger than the other, nor to say one is the same size as another. The
> > infinite is just infinite.
>
> False. Where a correspondence can be established it makes perfectly good
> sense.
> >

> > My line of thought is that the 1:1C is a sacred cow. That there is
> > no extension from the finite case.
>
> Dead wrong. You have been wrong for over a hundred years.
>
> Bob Kolker

The density of infinite sets, within each other or supersets, has
definite meaning and certainly corresponds to some notion of relative
size.

Half the integers are even. That's no longer disputed here although
you can readily find in years past times when those defending
cardinality as the only definition of a notion of size of sets were
adamant that was not true. So, it's true, they were wrong.

A proper subset is smaller than the set. The size of the proper subset
is less. Remove elements from a non-empty set, there are less.

Consider the notion of some probability distribution over the naturals
of which you know not its form, except each integer has non-zero
probability in selection, that selects a (natural) integer. In a wager
for something you value, would you be willing to accept 10:1 odds in
your favor that it was a multiple of 12? 1200?

Is the density of a subset of the natural integers in the naturals
integers a meaningful comparison of its size compared to the density of
other subsets of the natural integers? It certainly is. Would you
think a random integer is more likely to be a multiple of two, or a
multiple of two billion? I think you would agree that on the average,
or on the whole, it's a billion times more likely that a random integer
is a multiple of two than that it is as well a multiple of two billion.

While Galileo illustrated that the squares in progression could be
mapped 1-1 to the naturals, that they were equivalent, that doesn't
change that only half the integers are even.

The density of a set of the natural integers, which is a very
particular set of numbers where all the number-theoretic statements
about them apply, is a number between zero and one, and allows much
more precision, in the comparison of sizes of subsets of the natural
integers within the natural integers, for a wider variety of infinite
sets than does cardinality, which says only nothing about their
contrast.

I would continue, but the points are that: a) a proper subset size
relation exists, and b) relative density is relative size, where the
set of natural integers has one.

There is no universe in ZF. Quantification and identity are too big
for ZF.

Sum the differentials, it's called integration. How many copies of the
reals does it take to biject to N^N?

The universe is infinite, then infinite sets are equivalent, because
the universe is an example that infinite set and powerset, itself, are
equivalent.

Ross

From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 11/24/2006 11:25 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article <45675C18.5090705(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
> Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>
>> On 11/24/2006 12:35 PM, Six wrote:
>> > GALILEO'S PARADOX
>>

>> I already wrote elsewhere that Galilei eventually found out:
>> The relations smaller, equally large, and larger do not hold for
>> infinite quantities.
>
> Depends on how one defines them. Cantor's definition works quite well
> for infinite sets, at least in ZFC and NBG.

I wonder if the relations smaller, equally large, and larger require any
comment or definition. I also got not aware of a redefinition by Cantor.

>> Dedekind and Cantor intended to make possible the impossible and just
>> enchant irrationals into numbers of the same kind as rational numbers.
>> If this would be possible, then there were indeed more real than
>> rational numbers.
>
> It was and there are.

Amen.