From: Virgil on
In article <456AF7C0.9080405(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/27/2006 3:30 AM, Virgil wrote:
>

> > There is, in fact, a definition of infiniteness of sets (by Dedekind)
> > which REQUIRES the bijection of the set with a proper subset of itself.
>
> Let's recall that neither Dedekind nor someone else was able to prove
> Dedekind's basis assumption.

Definitions do not need "basis assumptions", the are merely
abbreviations of statements that without them take longer to express.

> Maybe, his claim was not just ad odds with Euclid but also questionable.

Maybe his definition, like "shibboleth", separates mathematicians from
anti-mathematicians like EB.
From: Eckard Blumschein on
On 11/27/2006 8:47 PM, stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
> Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>> On 11/27/2006 3:21 AM, stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
>
>>> There is no need to resolve the paradox. There exists a
>>> one-to-correspondence between the natural numbers and the
>>> perfect squares. The perfect squares are also a proper
>>> subset of the natural numbers. This is not a contradiction.
>
>> What is better? Being simply correct as was Galilei or being more than
>> wrong? (Ueberfalsch)
>
> Do you deny that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between
> the natural numbers and the perfect squares?

I just learned that mathematical existence means common properties. I do
not have any problem with the imagination of bijection between n and
n^2. I merely agree with Galilei that this bijection cannot serve as a
fundamental for ascribing a number to all n or all n^2. Both n and n^2
just have two properties in common: They are countable because they are
genuine numbers, and they do not have an upper limit.

> Or do you deny that the perfect squares are a proper subset of the
> naturals?

First of all, I do not consider the naturals and their squares identical
with the belonging sets. While the naturals are potentially infinite,
the term set is ambiguous in so far it claims to comprehend the naturals
looked at number by number, as well as _all_ naturals.

The latter ist something quite different and relates to actual infinity.
I consider any infinite set a fiction if one claims to include _all_ of
its elements. The natural numbers 1...n are potentially infinite, i.e.
they are no fiction, while the set of all natural numbers as a whole is
necessarily a fiction.

Dedekind's definition of an infinite system (he did not use the term
set) belongs to the potential infitiniy.
Fraenkel (2nd ed. 1923, p. 17) wrote: "... dass eine Menge
gewissermassen gleichviel Elemente enthalten kann wie eine echte
Teilmenge von ihr steht in einem gewissen Kontrast zu dem bekannten
Satz: Das Ganze ist stets gr��er als ein Teil."
Notice: Even Fraenkel wrote "gewissermassen" (=quasi) "gleichviel"
(= equally much). Euclid is of course still correct if we abandon the
unfounded quantification of the property countably infinite.
Removal of the 1 ... n^2 would not alter the property of the numbers
1... n being countably infinite.
{2,3,5,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,...,n} is countably, i.e. potentially,
infinite as well.

From: Six on
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 02:21:33 +0000 (UTC), stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:

>Six wrote:

>>>I was addressing your claim that there was "no extension from the
>>>finite case". In the finite case, two sets have the same number
>>>of elements if and only if there exists a one to one correspondence
>>>between them. This very simple idea has been extended to the
>>>infinite case.
>
>> OK. The idea of a 1:1 corresondence is indeed a simple idea. The idea of
>> infinity is not.
>
>That depends on what 'idea of infinity' of you are talking about.
>The mathematical definition of 'infinite' is as simple as the
>idea of a 1:1 correspondence.

The mathematical definition of infinity may be simple, but is it
unproblematic? It seems to me that infinity is a sublte and difficult
concept. And that we are entitled to ask how well the simple mathematical
defintion captures what we mean by it, not necessarily in all its wilder
philosphical nuances, but what we mean by it mathematically, or if you
like, proto- mathematically.

> There is no point in dragging
>philosophical baggage into a mathematical discussion.

In my opinion the philsosopy is already there, and it impoverishes
mathematics to pretend otherwise.

>>>But why should you bother listing the missing integers? If you
>>>are comparing two sets, including elements that are not in one
>>>of the sets in the comparision seems strange to me. If
>>>I am comparing the sets {Bob, Dave, George} and {Eileen, Barb, Jill}
>>>should I write out
>>>
>>> Adam, Bob, Chuck, Dave, Edgar, Fred, George, Hank, Igor, Jack
>>> ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^
>if you insist it matches some vague unspecified notion of "same size".
>It may seem unintuitive,

If {Adam, Bob, Chuck, Dave, Edgar, Fred, George, Hank, Igor, Jack}
are all the people that exist, then it seems to me perfect sense to say
that {Adam, Dave} misses out Bob, Chuck etc.

>>> ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^
>>>
>>>?? How do I know what the missing elements are?
>>>
>>>The one-to-one correspondence idea is nice because it works for any
>>>two sets. The idea you are looking at only works if one set
>>>is a subset of the other.
>
>> Yes, to set up the paradox we need to compare two sets for which
>> there is a 1:1C and one is a subset of the other. It isn't a question of
>> what works. It's a question of how the paradox is to be resolved.
>
>> Thanks, Six Letters
>
>There is no need to resolve the paradox. There exists a
>one-to-correspondence between the natural numbers and the
>perfect squares. The perfect squares are also a proper
>subset of the natural numbers. This is not a contradiction.

I accept that. The contradiction comes about if the one notion
suggests equality of size and the other notion suggests inequality. Which
they do, so there is a prima facie paradox.

I sense a cavalierness about common sense intuitions amongst
mathematicians (I don't mean you in particular, Stephen, it's just a
general comment.) Yes there is such a thing as conventional, accepted,
unexamined wisdom. Things are not always what they seem. But common sense
is, quite literally, where we all start. The articulation of it is
something else.

Either a proper subset of a set can be the same size as the set
(for comparable sets or whatever technical qualification is needed), or it
must be smaller than the set, or it makes no sense to compare infinite sets
for size. (I suppose there could be some weirder alternative, such as the
size of a set might depend on how it is ordered, or something like that.
Haven't thought much about that.) Which is it, and why?

First option because Cantor says so might in a way be true, it
might be that that is where mathematicians are, but it I was going to join
them I would want to know why.

Thanks, Six Letters
From: Six on
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:41:05 +0100, Eckard Blumschein
<blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

>On 11/27/2006 8:47 PM, stephen(a)nomail.com wrote:
>> Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

>>> What is better? Being simply correct as was Galilei or being more than
>>> wrong? (Ueberfalsch)
>>
>> Do you deny that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between
>> the natural numbers and the perfect squares?
>
>I just learned that mathematical existence means common properties. I do
>not have any problem with the imagination of bijection between n and
>n^2. I merely agree with Galilei that this bijection cannot serve as a
>fundamental for ascribing a number to all n or all n^2. Both n and n^2
>just have two properties in common: They are countable because they are
>genuine numbers, and they do not have an upper limit.

Excellent. That puts much more clearly what I was trying to suggest
is a coherent position. And we did not have to appeal to Spinoza or any
special discrimination awarded to us by His Nibs.

snip

Six Letters
From: Bob Kolker on
Eckard Blumschein wrote:

> I just learned that mathematical existence means common properties. I do
> not have any problem with the imagination of bijection between n and
> n^2. I merely agree with Galilei that this bijection cannot serve as a

What imagination? n <-> n*n is a bijection between integers and squares
of integers. Each n goes to one and only one square. Different integers
to to different squares. Each square comes from one and only one integer
(that is 0, 1, 2, ...).

This is a clear one to one correspondence between natural integers and
squares of natural integers.

Plain and simple.

Bob Kolker