From: Virgil on
In article <45675C18.5090705(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/24/2006 12:35 PM, Six wrote:
> > GALILEO'S PARADOX
>

> I already wrote elsewhere that Galilei eventually found out:
> The relations smaller, equally large, and larger do not hold for
> infinite quantities.

Depends on how one defines them. Cantor's definition works quite well
for infinite sets, at least in ZFC and NBG.

> Dedekind and Cantor intended to make possible the impossible and just
> enchant irrationals into numbers of the same kind as rational numbers.
> If this would be possible, then there were indeed more real than
> rational numbers.

It was and there are.
From: Richard Tobin on
In article <45675E35.9090008(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

>According to Spinoza, infinity is something that cannot be enlarged
>(and also not exhausted). It is a quality, not a quantity.

He may have found that definition useful, but mathematicians don't.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
From: Virgil on
In article <45675E35.9090008(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/24/2006 1:20 PM, Richard Tobin wrote:
> >
> >>* If you have two sets of infinite size, is the union of these sets
> >>than larger than infinity? What would larger than infinity mean?
> >
> > That this is not a stumbling block should be clear of you replace
> > "infinite" with "big". The union of two big sets can be bigger than
> > either of the original big sets. Like "big", "infinity" is not a
> > number; it's a description of certain numbers.
>
> According to Spinoza, infinity is something that cannot be enlarged
> (and also not exhausted). It is a quality, not a quantity.

And how did Spinoza become an authority on the mathematical meanings of
words?

In English, at least, we do not stick to a strict "one word, one
meaning" regimen, but allow the choice from several meanings to be
determined by context.

And in mathematical contexts, non-mathematical meaning are irrelevant.
From: Virgil on
In article <45675EBD.5000706(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de>,
Eckard Blumschein <blumschein(a)et.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> On 11/24/2006 2:03 PM, Bob Kolker wrote:
> > Six Letters wrote:
>
> > Same size (i.e. same cardinality) means there is a one to one
> > correspondence between the sets. That is the definition of "same size".
>
> Do you mean somebody here is not familiar with all of your wise utterances?

EB seems to remain ignorant of them, however often and by whomever they
are repeated.
From: Bob Kolker on
Eckard Blumschein wrote:

> On 11/24/2006 12:35 PM, Six wrote:
>
>> GALILEO'S PARADOX
>

> I already wrote elsewhere that Galilei eventually found out:
> The relations smaller, equally large, and larger do not hold for
> infinite quantities.

Cardinal numbers are comparable.

Bob Kolker